OK. So I can be ok with not being Norm??

Page 2 of 2
I dug the 'Yoda' reference!
Mike

Jay Windley wrote:

Don't even get me started about that one. I really hate that guy sometimes. "Let's do a tree." BLAM! "And another little tree." BLAM! "These are such happy, happy little trees." BLAM, BLAM, BLAM!
Thirteen second later, he has a freaking masterpiece, and just throws it on the pile with the other dozen he painted in the last 30 minutes.
Me, I've decided I'm really good at painting cloudless skies. I have a lot of canvases around here full of cloudless skies and some brown stuff at the bottom that was maybe going to be dirt.

That's just it, man. I don't even watch those shows anymore. I grew up watching that stuff when I was in about high school (late '80s), but it just doesn't pay to compare myself to people who are really good at what I do.
I play flute and guitar , but I don't have the patience and dedication to practice several hours a day, *every* day, in order to get really good at either one of them. I have a "meadow garden" because after the first couple of weeks of pulling up the same damn weeds I pulled up five times already every spring, I get fed up and decide to call the weeds wildflowers one more year.
Beyond these two, where the only real excuse is a lack of dedication, there's also the very real question of money. Mastery is expensive. You have to run through a lot of consumables to build the skills to be really good at just about anything you might want to try. Wood, metal, clay, paint, canvas, model locomotive bodies...
Mastery in most of my hobbies is extremely expensive, even once you've gotten past the cost of the basic equipment. Maybe a new floowhutzit can help you make quicker spleedles, but if you don't use the floowhutzit correctly, it won't make any difference, and practice eats material.
I can't afford a floowhutzit, and don't have room for it anyway, so I guess I won't make spleedles, or I'll figure out how to make them with what I've got.
On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 01:53:55 -0400, Silvan
<snip>

Just FYI, it's called a "blurfl" in this newsgroups, not a "floowhutzit" . :-)
http://www.imaging.robarts.ca/~amulder/wood/Blurfl.txt
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

If there is something you want to build, "must haves" are the tools you need to build it. Start with what you have, and add those tools that are necessary, keeping in mind that there are usually several possible methods to cut wood to the desired shape.
Buying a tool because someone else thinks it essential is a good way to fill your shop and empty your pocket but it will not get anything built. It's better to work with your existing resources and spend the money on wood.
Since I know you will follow this advice to the extent you paid for it, your upcoming venture onto the slippery slope of Neanderdom is certain to lead to a collection of hand planes, and for that you MUST HAVE a sturdy bench. : )
Thanks for the advice.
I was to get to the cart before the horse. I wanted to build the greatest of furniture without mastering the simple box. I think I'm starting to 'get it' thanks to all of you and the wisdom you've all shared.
I have listened to what you all have said and I must admit that I'm backing up a bit further than I thought I would. I'm going to build a good bench starting next weekend. I spent all day looking at bench plans and trying to convince myself I dont have to have the very best out there. I've decided on building this one.... http://www.terraclavis.com/bws/beginners.htm Its a nice bench.. I think I can build it over a few weekends to lessen the financial blow. What are the cheapest vises I can use to cover the plan and still do a decent job for a beginner... anyone?
I think just building this bench is going to help me learn sooooo much. And this guy's site is awesome.. really good instructions and pictures to boot. And I'm hoping I can build one as nice as his young son did. I don't have all the tools he has, so hopefully I can get by with what I have with the few Im gonna buy shortly (hand tools).
I doubt my sheet of mdf and sawhorses will do the job. :-)
Thanks everyone for the advice. Mike
wrote:

so
hard
homemade
[...]
wrote:

so
hard
homemade

Snip
You know, there's a lot to be said for the plywood/sawhorse bench. In fact, I couldn't have built my bench bench without my plywood/sawhorse bench. And, with 2 16' 2x4s, I can build a sawhorse that you can set a bunk of lumber on.
Well, you need two of them.
-Phil Crow
Phil Crow wrote:

Actually you need 4 same-height sawhorses, so a single person can cut sheet goods safely.
-- Mark
On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 15:54:05 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

No, you need (2) sections of 2'x8' 2" foam, so you can cut the sheet goods on the floor. <G>
Barry
On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 19:40:34 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Two plastic garbage cans work, too. Who cares if you cut through the rim; it's garbage.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ."

Might work OK for you young guys, but some of us would end up spending the day down there. Ed

My advice (FWIW, I am not a pro, just an amateur for a bit more than a year and so recently up against some of the same questions you pose.
- You can make a quick cheap bench from 2x4's bolted to the wall, some 2x4 legs and frame, and a sheet of MDF on top of it. A quick-release woodworkers vise can be had cheap from Harbor Freight. The result sure isn't a fine European woodworker's bench, but it is good enough to get you through your first few projects.
- Avoid buying wood at Home Depot or Lowes, etc. Unless you are looking for warped pieces of wet knotty pine :-) Instead, go check out your local hardwood yard, tell them you are just getting started and begin with some less expensive wood like red oak. Try to buy it S4S (planed on all 4 sides), and look for boards as straight as you can get them.
- Get a decent handsaw. For example, the dozukis aren't too expensive from places like Lee Valley or Woodcraft, etc. You'll also need a small machinists square, a straight ruler, a couple of bench chisels (probably 1/4 and 3/8 or so), and a mortising chisel (probably about 3/8" again). You'll also want a radial orbital sander. You'll need a couple of clamps, too (Harbor Freight has okay clamps).
- Check out some books on joinery from the local library. The Taunton book "Basics: Essentials of Woodworking" is a good overview. For more advanced stuff the Tage Frid v1/2 woodworking book is good.

Cool. I do amateur astronomy, too. Intes MN61 Mak-Newt.
(snip)

Have fun and remember safety.
What would my ' local hardwood yard' be? All I know is Lowes, Home Depot and Woodcraft... Lowes and HD have the crap you speak of, Woodcraft has smaller way more expensive stuff? Is there something in between?
Thanks, Mike

years or

wait on

tool' so

homemade
roto
Thanks for the advice... I will follow it.
Forgot the scope part in the previous post...
Again you are ahead of me :-). 8" Celestron Starhopper Dob and Orion Skyview Deluxe 4.5" Newt on a GEM. Not much to speak of, but (unlike my woodworking tools) they do a fine job for me... since I know how to use them and tune them (again, unlike my woodworking tools).
Speaking of Scopes, one of the reasons I began woodworking as a hobby was that I wanted to build a nice dob platform and rocker box out of some beautiful apple play or even a Tiger Maple if it's possible. That has taken a back seat to the starter projects for now, but one of these days...
Thanks again, Mike

[...]

Speaking of Scopes, one of the reasons I began woodworking as a hobby was that I wanted to build a nice dob platform and rocker box out of some beautiful apple ply or even a Tiger Maple if it's possible. That has taken a back seat to the starter projects for now, but one of these days...
Thanks again, Mike

years or

wait on

tool' so