Ok now, what are your favorite finishes? [survey if you like]

What are your preferred finishes? Some poly everything, others use Watco, still a few might prefer oil/wax and shellac is always popular isn't it. Let's pick a few categorys:

  1. heavy usage, requires durability (kitchen table)
  2. medium usage (side tables, chairs, desks)
  3. low usage (shelves, cabinets, hall furniture)

  1. mahogany, honduran

  1. walnut, black
  2. cherry, black
  3. white oak (Mission/A&C/Stickly style)
  4. pine (or softwoods)
  5. oak/ash/hickory (or generic open grain)
  6. maple/birch

  1. exotic or other, your pick

Reply to
McQualude

I'm afraid I can't answer you survey with the parameters you use. I Probably couldn't answer any survey on the subject that uses fixed parameters.

My selection of finishes is based on the "look" that is required balanced against the minimum amount of protection the piece needs to be commiserate with the use of the piece. As such and based on that criteria I don't have a "favorite" finish and will use what is needed from boiled linseed oil to varnish.

I will note that I dislike oil on very light wood because it, to me, makes the wood look like a dog pissed on it. I avoid varnishes when possible due to the amount of work required to rub it out. I do have a fondness for oiled walnut but do not let that fondness sway me from the above criteria.

Reply to
Mike G

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 05:51:38 GMT, McQualude pixelated:

Categories, please.

Waterlox, Watco Natural, or T&T varnish oil. Regular varnish products like Waterlox should hold up for years even on a kitchen table. They're also much easier to refinish when they do need touching up. They're clear (with an amber tone building up in many layers), tough, waterproof, and have a good hand.

When I start these, I'll use an open-pored finish, fumed, and oil-based varnish (W, WN, TTVN)

Paint or flame. (Hi, Jums!)

W, WN, TTVO.

If I ever need a gloss finish (I much prefer satin), I might spray a lacquer or leave Waterlox alone. (I normally buff it down with 0000/scotchbrite and wax.)

I'm just a sucker for oil-based products and varnishes. They do all I ever hoped, pop the grain/figure of the wood, and are easy to apply/reapply. They're cleanable, sandable, durable, and can be applied with a rag if needed. Plus, they don't -ever- look like plastic. What more could you ask of a finish?

- Better Living Through Denial ------------

Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:26:05 -0400, Silvan pixelated:

Your new nick is "Saran", you sick effer. ;)

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals - --------------------------------------------------------

Web App & Database Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Guess I'll answer my own

wiping varnish

shellac or wiping varnish

oil/wax or shellac

shellac, oil, wiping varnish

oil, oil/varnish mix, Watco, blonde shellac (I don't like the look of orange or garnet shellac on walnut)

oil, wiping varnish, Watco

haven't done it, but I would probably try Potassium Dichromate and finish with oil/varnish

any, depending on application

oil/wax, oil/varnish, wiping varnish, shellac

wiping varnish, oil/varnish, blonde shellac

Zebrawood - wax

Reply to
McQualude

Saran... Nah, that's not thick enough. More like Lexan... :)

Reply to
Silvan