OK, now I like the soft start.

I had been using my portercable router on a routing table and had to take it to a jobsite to do a couple of things. When I went to use it, I had set it on a worktable and bent down to plug the cord into the wall socket behind the table. When I plugged it in, it was on. It started up (soft start) and stayed right where it was, not falling onto my head with the 3/4" dado bit in it, without the base.

I always thought the soft start was nice, but now I find that I just love it for some reason.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Robert Allison wrote in news:OKnAj.81$Qy3.17 @trnddc03:

Important lesson: Turn it off before unplugging it! (Then, check the power switch before you plug it back in.) I've had a couple devices that don't get shut off before being unplugged, and shocking* things have happened.

*I'm using the word "shocking" here to mean both static electric shock and surprising.

I like to get ready to make a cut or something, turn the device on and watch it not start up before shutting it off and plugging it in. If it turns on without power (including battery), then I *know* it's possessed.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I never realized how much I liked the soft start on my M12V. Then, one day, the variable speed electronic unit went out. The router would speed up, slow down, speed up again. One day it stopped running completely so I opened up the top, snipped the variable speed controller and wired it back up.

Next time I went to use it (handheld, not table) I had a blinding flash of the obvious when I turned it on. AHA!!!! That little doohickey controls the soft start too!!!! Good thing I was holding on tight. It has a bit of start up torque to it now.

Thinking about getting a milwaukee or triton. Maybe I should stop by sears (nailshooter).

Joe

Reply to
joe

You would think that wouldn't you? A router, when being used in the handheld mode is always turned off before you set it down. In the table mode, it is always on, due to the external switch on the table itself. The only time that I have ever had this problem was yesterday. I will now have to learn to make sure it is off. I cannot remember how I managed to avoid that problem the 1,973 other times that I changed from table to handheld.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Nothing wrong with being too paranoid when it comes to power-tool safety! I like the soft-start too. It eliminates the jerk from the sudden torque.

Reply to
Phisherman

Confession time:

I have a Bosch 1276DVS 4 x 24 belt sander. I picked it up by the handle to change belts after insuring that it was unplugged. In the process I depressed the switch *and* the lock-on button. I changed belts, set the sander upright on the end of my bench and plugged it in. It took off like a dragster, hit the floor and bent the front roller and suspension. I don't remember how much repair parts were but it was a lesson.

Max

Reply to
Max

"Max" wrote in news:pfFAj.61878$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

I've often wondered about my belt sander... It has the switch on the handle too, and when you naturally pick it up your finger's right on the switch. There is no safety switch, so it'd be easy to accidently turn it on.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I got distracted once while locking down a 690 in a router table.

When that 22,500rpm motor with a straight cutter came down and started eating up everything in sight, I was trying to leave the building.

My plunge base and me never got over that little incident.

Robert Allis> I had been using my portercable router on a routing table and had to

Reply to
Pat Barber