OK, if not Craftsman, then who?

Smart kid.
If you never use them they probably are ok.
Lee K wrote:

Having a couple of Old craftsman tools and having worn out a few newer craftsman tools, I would vote for Grizzly to take over the Old craftsman spot for larger tools. Delta seems to be in trouble with their customer service and has some quality issues. Jet is defiantly a contender, but I think Grizzly is the forerunner at the moment. As for Rigid I don't know since I have been in a Home Depot once in the past year, and don't know anyone who has any of their tools. For hand power tools it's anyone's guess. I used to like PC but don't like their new designs, Bosch and Hitachi seem to be fairly good for the money at the moment with DeWalt doing fairly well in cordless. I used to like skill better then craftsman but don't buy either anymore. For hand tools who knows? I've started getting everything from Lee Valley and Wood crafters or at flea markets.

Don't focus on one manufacturer. I have tools from Delta, Dewalt, Jet, Bosch, Porter Cable, and others. I choose what I like based on feel, quality, and features. For example, I liked the vernier adjustment of the fence on the Dewalt Biscuit Joiner more than the option of tiny biscuits with the Porter Cable. My Milwaukee sawzall felt a lot better than the Porter Cable Tiger saw. But the Porter Cable circular saw was the most powerful (and heaviest!) in its class.
You may be limited somewhat by availability, but if you always buy just on the basis of brand name you will sometimes be disappointed.
jcatora wrote:

Me too! My shop is a rainbow. <G>
I gotz me some yellow, blue, green, red, gray, white, a different shade of gray, a different shade of blue, brown, black, silver...
Problem is, we just don't know anymore, everything could be from one big manufactuer in china and they just have different plastic moulds that come by... yellow, orange, blue, green, etc, etc.
The business of manufacture should make the interchangability of parts between (say) ryobi and ridgid (and/or bosh, and/or emerson) virtually irristable.
Although I doubt we have enough collective cohesiveness within this group to do it, but it would be cool if there were an enclopedic record of what's *inside* some of these things to help us make more informed decisions. Like a visual record of the "ingredients" because it's what's inside that counts.
I've got a Ridgid TS2400 that is clearly emerson (according to the castings) but the motor is obsured by some plastic so I can't read the specs on it (e.g. horsepower, or mfg name)
I still don't know what kind of cells are in the ryobi plus system, it would be cool if someone that had taken it apart could have snapped some pics while they had it open.
And then there was that ass-kicker that reviewed the PC 890, and decided that it should have varnished windings. Pics illustrating that would have been cool, he obviously took it apart. Not too long after that, many of them were recalled.