Ok Here are my choices for a new Table saw

Page 2 of 2

About two hours ago I made several crosscuts in 1" melamine faced OSB using an old B&D with an $8 Oldham 140 tooth plywood blade from The Borg. No prep other than a guide - no scoring, no tape, no ZCI. And no chips. Edges were so sharp I had to knock them down with a file right away to keep them from slicing open body parts. I Know it's not my technique, maybe it's that cheapo blade?

I am a big believer in plywood blades for plywood. The do a good job. they just dull quickly. If I am doing a job that requires good cuts, I buy a blade for it. As long as I just use it for that job, I am OK.
I get good cuts from it. I am NOT making fine furniture.

Yep, and at eight bucks they do the job!
I'm trying to think of the last time I saw melamine faced Fine Furniture. :o)

David wrote:

Did you try the circular saw with the good side down? This allows the entering teeth to be striking the good side, just like cutting face up on a table saw.
If so, please disregard.
Barry
bdeditch wrote:

Sounds like time is of the essence but if you had more. I bought a Jet cabinet saw with the extended table, mobile base, frued daddo, cmt blade and a few other options off ebay for 400.00. It was used a total of 10 times to cut plywood. Not a scratch on it, no rust on the cast iron table and in my opinion perfect shape. You might look at ebay
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

<snip>
Speaking only for myself...I bought the BT3100 a couple years ago, and I'm pretty happy with it. My dream TS would be a DeWalt, a Jet, or a nice Delta cabinet saw...but that's not going to be feasible, given the limited amount of time I put into the hobby.
IIRC, I bought my Ryobi around Christmastime, and they had a special deal that included some other stuff with the saw--a zero clearance insert, etc. It may be worth waiting to see if you can score something like that along with the saw...
Jim
x-no-archive:

That is the typical performance of a "benchtop" saw. You shouldn't expect anything different from any other brand in that style.

Of that list, I'd say the Ridgid TS3650. But I would suggest also looking at the Delta and Jet contractors saws.

You will definately want a contractors saw or better to handle plywood. Even then, you'll likely want to build extension tables around it, if you'll be working with full sheets.
As others have suggested, when looking at something as large & heavy as a sheet of plywood, it's a lot easier to leave the wood stationary and move the saw, rather than vice-versa.
John