Ok, gonna show my ignorance here

Page 1 of 2
Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to have to ask this. If I have a hole I want to line with felt, what is the formula for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.
--
Paul O.

Paul wrote:

c=(pi)x d or 3.14 x dia.
On 7/12/11 2:30 PM, Norvin Gordon wrote:

I always remember the difference between circumference and area by thinking of the Ty-D-Bol Man. The Ty-D-Bol Man goes around the bowl (circumference). Ty-D rhymes with Pi(d)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

If you remember that there are 2*Pi radians in a circle, it also gives you C=2(Pi)r, or C=(Pi)d.
If you've had calculus, thinking of the area of the circle as the collection of "skins" having thickness dr, you can integrate C dr over the interval [0,R] to get A=Pi R^2. At least, that's one way. I just mention this for the readers that are math fans.
Bill
Bill wrote the following:

looked forward to saying with pride that the family finally had their first college graduate. Son grew up, went off to college. His father continued working hard to pay the tuition. Four years later, son came home with a diploma. Excited to know what the son had learned, his father asked him to tell him something. Son replied "Pi r2," which the father heard as "pie are squared." Shocked and angered, the poor old father tore his straw hat off his head in disgust, threw it onto the ground and yelled at his son: "You dingbat! Pie are ROUND...cornbread are square!"
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

On the proud day he delivered the boy to the campus, he said to the math professor, "Make sure he gets some of that there triggernometry. He can't shoot worth a damn!"
On 7/12/11 3:22 PM, Bill wrote:

What does that have to do with a toilet?
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

I was just offering another mnemonic device... I have nothing against toilets.
Bill wrote the following:

except your ass. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to put some felt on my toilet...
Bill wrote the following:

Don't they still make those soft padded toilet seat covers?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Yeah, you mean the ones that keep the seat from staying up...lol

"MOM! Bill's feeling up the toilet again!"
-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
On 7/12/11 5:25 PM, Bill wrote:

Well, I should hope not. After all they've done for us.
--

-MIKE-

the Ty-D-Bowl, mon....? *cue some steel drums, mon*

2 pi lemons are round. 2 lemon pis are round.
I learnt that on the farm!
Sonny

Felt has thickness, so technically, the calc of the hole won't be correck, altho the diff could be negligible.
Another way to get a perfect fit with no calc at all is to cut it a bit long, wrap it on the hole, and just cut the overlap (winding up with two drops), for a perfect fit.
--
EA

> --

Well technically the thickness of the felt has noting to do with the calculation. He wants to line the hole with felt. That distance is what you will need to use to cut the felt. If he cuts the felt longer than the perimeter of the hole it will not lay flat. If he cuts the felt shorter than the perimeter of the hole it will be too short. The only length that is important is the surface. Felt thickness will compress.

What if the hole is 1/2" in diameter or smaller?
Leon wrote the following:

If - he measures the inside diameter and uses the formula for the inside circumference to get the length of the felt.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yeah, but if you cut it long, and then razor it as it lines the hole, the fit will be exact -- incl. the angle of the "wall" of the felt, if it were substantial, would also be angularly correct! You could actually glue the overly-long felt in the hole, making the cut very easy to coordinate.
Also, the cut doesn't have to be at all straight, bec the ends of the felt are overlapping, and will match no matter how sloppy the cut -- as long as the cutting knife catches both overlapped pieces. In fact, one could arger against a perfectly straight cut, and could even do a kind of "toilet roll tube spiral" -- depending on what's going in the hole, etc.
For one-offs, this cut'n'match is proly the preferred way. It of course would not be efficient for production jobs.
--
EA