Oil-less compressor replacement tank...

It's not worth a lot, granted, but I did just recently put a new set of rings in it so the compressor portion is good for quite a while yet...but the small (6-gal) tank sprung a series of pinholes the other day. I can see there's a flaw in the material running in a line so it's going to continue to make more...

I figured it wouldn't be hard to find a "veritable plethora" of tanks but a quick search turned up little or nothing other than the portable bubbles...

Anybody seen/know of a source (inexpensive, of course) for a replacement tank that wouldn't be more than the whole compressor? I know, HF and their ilk are pretty cheap and I suppose that's the reason there isn't anything showing up...oh, this is 6 gal and it's just a secondary that had in TN that brought back. It has been kinda' handy to have in the shop whereas the large tank is over in the barn and there's not plumbing between (and the shop area is small enough not really that keen on taking up the space the other one would require)...

I've got several old pressure tanks, I've debated converting one but that suffers the same size problem as does/would moving the other (plus then there wouldn't be air over there which would be even more inconvenient)...

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else here has dealt w/ the problem by replacing tank or just toss the old compressor in the "never-to-be-used but still good pile" and just get another small one. I suppose I could go the pancake route instead...or, of course, one could rig up a mount on just a bubble, too; was trying to minimize the amount of effort as a secondary objective...

--

Reply to
dpb

Go to a truck junkyard, one for tractor trucks, there is an auxilliary storage tank on semi trailers that is about 6 gallons, they are a dime a dozen around here.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Reply to
"<<< Bøb >>>"

Far SW KS...

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
"<<< Bøb >>>"

I've used worse excuses for a road trip.

Reply to
G. Ross

Daughter in Alcoa/Maryville area but no trip planned...as another said, "could change" :)

--

Reply to
dpb

On 9/16/2012 10:07 AM, basilisk wrote: ...

That's not a bad idea at all, thanks--altho there's not an actual boneyard around close there are some opportunities, perhaps...

--

Reply to
dpb

Couldn't you braze the pinholes and the area around them? In essence, the tank acts as a kind of frame for the brass. I did this on a muffler once, worked pretty well. Muffler became pretty heavy, tho... LOL

Some epoxies might work, by kind of dripping thru the hole slightly, and not being able to come back out, once hardened.

Reply to
Existential Angst

... Couldn't you braze the pinholes and the area around them? ...

See above...

--

Reply to
dpb