Oil for model 77 type 13 Skil saw

I inherited an old Skil model 77, type 13, worm drive saw. This is the first saw that I have ever owned that has an oil reservoir. Skil on-line doesn't have a manual for the old Model 77 type 13, so I downloaded a Manual for the later model HD77M type 1, or HD77 type 17. The manual says to only use Skil lubricants. Are there alternative oils?

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

I've used 10W-30 in mine for about thirty-five years and it works fine. It burns a hell of a lot less of this than does my eighteen year old F-150.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

That's what I hoped to hear. Thanks

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Maybe, but it's not right. The official Skil oil is some kind of heavy synthetic. I believe the old specs called for 90wt non-foaming gear oil. 10W-30 is way, way too light.

Oil is cheap, gears are expensive.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

If I were to make a guess, 90 wt would be it. Pretty standard gear lube.

Reply to
CW

I have slick50 in mine.... Bridger

Reply to
bridger
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Yes or even Product # 80111 Skil Heavy Duty Worm Drive Lubricant......still available from Mr. Robert Bosch. Milwaukee's or B&D's will work just fine too.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN