oil dispersion glaze?

..Can anybody offer some guidance on how to make or where to get glazes? How do I get or make a "pigment in oil dispersion glaze"... Some specificity related to brands, etc. for the ingredients would be appreciated.

Reply to
James

Bridger

Tiny jars at huge prices - anywhere selling naff faux paint effects.

Same price for a gallon can, a paint maker. I use Bollom's arcylic glaze medium, because their office / sales counter is nearby to me. If you ask around for this stuff, and don't just look in Home Depot, then you'll get it easily enough.

For pigments, then just try anywhere (Liberon et al.) who sell them. It's not hard to find a reasonably priced range of earth pigments and a few synthetics for the weird colours.

Some people use artist's pigments for woodworking. Now these can be good, but be careful of quality these days. A lot of the "dollar shop" sets aren;t that good and the pigments are cheap synthetics with dubious light stability.

Pigment + glaze + ball milling it for a while. Coffee jar, rock tumbler and a few marbles is good, but you can do it by hand quite easily just by rolling the jar and the marbles. Start off with all the pigment and a tiny amount of glaze, then work it for a while until there's a heavily coloured thick paste. Add more liquid in stages, with more milling in between.

If you add a little dry pigment to a lot of liquid, you'll get dry clusters in it that never break up.

Andy Dingley