oil based paints ban!?

Page 2 of 3
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:20:24 -0500, J. Clarke wrote:

In discussions of ground-level air pollution, the word "ozone" is misused. I don't know why, and I deplore it because of the confusion it causes. However, that's the usage. The VOCs contribute to photochemical smog, and that brown crud is called by some "ozone." So, you have to watch the context to know if what's being discussed is O3 or crud.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

The following seems to be pretty balanced. The basis of its info appears to be the "Outdoor Power Equipment Institute:"
http://www.agnr.umd.edu/users/Bioreng/agtopics/topics-septoct-99.html
The claim there is that an "average automobile" will generate apx. 10 times the "smog-formingemissions" that a lawnmower is likely to produce, based on realworld usage. Of course, that's talking about "average autos," not 10 mpg pig SUVs.

Formany people, reducing pollution is always Someone Else's Problem.
GregP wrote:

Kind of short on actual numbers though. And is that based on allowable emissions or actuall emissions? My "10 mpg pig SUV" generally shows about a tenth the allowable levels in the state-required emission tests.

--
--John
George wrote:

Run the numbers and see what you get. First look on the nice little piece of paper you got last time you took your car in for emissions inspection and see what it _really_ does compared to what the law allows.

However, since you choose to be insulting rather than arguing the facts, I'm not wasting any time on you.

--
--John
Its all about being able to set up more cop jobs to chase the oil based paint and stain bootleggers, similar to prohibition...

"brocpuffs" writes:

Welcome to the real world.
If you want something that will really rot your shorts, be a sailor or power boater.
"Bottom paint" on a boat is a misnomer. It is not really a paint but rather a poisonous coating deigned to keep critters from attaching them selves to the bottom of the boat.
Basic problem:
The good bottom paints have been banned.
The replacements are not nearly as good.
Result:
More of the poor performance products are required which ends up adding more pollution to the environment than if you had used the good stuff in the first place.
Save us from the well intended, but sometimes misguided.
Lew
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 00:41:14 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

they add things that are supposed to cut pollution (though they poison the ground water table) but they make your engine run so poorly that you need more of it to travel the same distance..
As usual, nobody wins but the oil companies..
mac davis wrote:

and how do the oil company's benefit? they don't make the additive
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:10:14 -0700, Richard Clements

Mileage drops, more fuel is used.
Barry
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 00:35:43 GMT, Ba r r y

Price goes up 10% for adding alcohol, mileage drops 10% from the less potent alcohol, fuel sales increase 10% as a result. Who loses? US! Who wins? Oil companies, on both sides of the equation.
============================================================= Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online =============================================================
You obviously don't understand much about gasoline economics. The winner is - The US! They invest nothing, transport nothing, refine nothing, market nothing, yet they and the states profit more than anyone else in the chain.
Now let's talk cigarettes....

Not only that, but here in SE Wisconsin, some of the gas has been wrecking fuel injectors resulting in very expensive injector replacements on quite a few vehicles. Nice stuff, huh?

???? There's an LD50 associated with Acetone. It sure as hell ain't fun nor helpful to inhale. Are they worried about the Ozone layer or just trying to make some progress now that waterborne finishes are arguably as good as ... ?
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 00:56:47 GMT, "patrick conroy"

No. But I do get what you're driving at.

Before you go off the deep end, ask at a reputable paint or finishing products dealer. Local news reporters have been known to be wrong. States have been known to limit who can sell certain products, with "pro" suppliers able to continue to sell them. Since home centers and hardware stores fall into the "banned" category, it gets reported in the mass media as an overall ban.
Other places have gone "low VOC" with often means the addition of "Do Not Thin" to the label instructions and a thicker product.
The lacquers, dyes, and stains that I like to use are *made* in your area.
If it is true, there's always mail order. <G>
Barry

States have been known to limit who can sell certain products, with "pro" suppliers able to continue to sell them.
Well folks, don't worry, according to recent reports the Bush administration is about to turn back 30+ years of air pollution standards. Take you last breath of clean air folks......
--
Rumpty

I heard they're going to push old people down the stairs and torture small puppies, too...
On 9 Dec 2004 06:22:50 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

... not until the Cabinet finishes rolling over.