ohboy! mdf with "grain"

Same with trim and cabinetry.

Have you seen the new "high gloss laminates" that are all the rage in Keepingupwiththejonesville?

As I travel around Fairfield County, CT and Westchester County, NY, every showroom has 'em in the front window.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Well there is that, and it is H E A V Y. Other than what you mentioned and the weight, it's kinda fun to work with. I have a customer that has moved 3 times in the last 12 years. I helped him reface the kitchen on 2 of the homes and eaxh time he wanted plain flat doors. I built the doors out of MDF and he spray painted. The next to last home was built new and had cherry prefab cabinets installed. On his last khome he went back to the MDF doors. He has the money but wanted "that" look.

Perhaps I can go with assembled panel MDF doors on a job. The Domino makes great joints using MDF and my Rotex sander acutally does a great job sanding MDF if there is a less than perfect joint.

Reply to
Leon

It does look good in the showroom window. LOL. Wait till you wipe it down one time and have to treat it like a window glass to remove the streaks, smears, and smudges.

Reply to
Leon

I guess, if you don't mind the dust that gets all over everything.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Cool, current decorating style is up to the 1950's. We've got the same kind of thing at work with our lobby furniture; they recently remodeled and put in chairs and seating areas that look like a throwback to the 1950's. Wierdest darn furniture you ever saw.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

High gloss in kitchens? That can be stunning.

guys are good at polyester paint jobs on their doors that will make the Bentley people proud. (btw, a high-gloss 1949 Bentley still looks pretty good today.) Peruse, if you will, their kitchen galleries.

Functionality, design and execution transcends details like gloss. Unfortunately, sometimes gloss takes on the role of turd polish. If that is what you mean, I agree. Ugly with a shine is even uglier. Conversely, a great design can handle some gloss.

Robatoy

OW! MY EYES!!!!! THE PAIN!

hideous.

jc

Reply to
joe

Seeing it in person, that's my thought.

Rob mentioned how gloss can work in a kitchen, and I agree with _wood_, but this stuff is 'orribile!

It'll probably be very lucrative for the builders who are using it and charging high-end wood prices to the sheep. Fairfield Co., CT, where I'm seeing it in EVERY showroom window, is the home of everyone in the 'hood driving the same car (latest Rover or MB AWD SUV), going on the same vacations, but with enough money to hire the private jet for vacation. The poorer folks drive brand new Tahoes and 3-series Beemers.

Last fall, I was riding shotgun on some turboprop charter flights, from Westchester and Teterboro airports, where people where paying five grand+ to get a four person family to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket, a _1_ hour flight, FOR THE WEEKEND. On their personal schedule, of course!

The major takeaway for me from Teterboro Airport is that the really rich never wear socks!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

They use them to stash their money.

Reply to