ohboy! mdf with "grain"

Page 2 of 2
patrick mitchel wrote:

Hang'm by their privates. I don't need or want any more enticement to use the stuff. It's MDF. Let it go!

There's much more than grain in a piece of wood. There's also depth and range of color, such as in air-dried black walnut burl. Otherwise, you're just using a laser to make hi-tech wood grained Contact paper.

Look out, folks. The global warming people are coming for your lumber! Them's fightin' words!
-Barry
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:01:26 -0700, "patrick mitchel"

this stuff is aimed at the construction industry, not woodworkers! a LOT of stuff in new homes is painted MDF including trim, mantles and other decorative items that are paint grade. the woodgrain will add depth to an otherwise plain surface. Personaly I hate the stuff but it is a cheaper alternative for contractors and we all know what kind of cheap bastards they are! :-]> Its cheaper therefore creating a bigger profit margin.
skeez

I think that was the gist of it. I didn't see anyone saying that they thought they should make a Maloof rocking chair from that stuff.

I personally like the "woodgrain" effect of an mdf interior door over a plain smooth panel myself. Since all the doors are sprayed with enamel these days, you can still see the texture through the finish. You know it isn't wood, hell everyone knows it isn't wood, but it does look better than smooth.
Personaly I hate the stuff but it

I have absolutely no problem using what ever kind of material floats a client's boat. You actually have it backwards.
The more expensive the material is, the more money we make while keeping the same percentage of markup. I would love to have batches of >>clients<< that weren't so cheap as to complain about the cost of using real non finger jointed, premium woods throughout their homes.
Those were the days....
Robert
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:01:43 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

The truth!
Another truth is that if it's painted, and not something that'll get wet, the various composites out there can look nicer, for a lot longer.
I've seen MDF and wood "paint grade" non-load bearing, non-moving, trim after it's been installed for quite a while, and the MDF has no gaps, no warps or cupping, no splits... It looks like the day it was put in. I've done MDF wainscotting that looks FAR better than the paint grade pine version after ten years.
The only downside is that MDF is easier to dent, but it takes filler well at the next painting.
Now, lets talk about veneer substrates...
somehow I can't get enthused about "flame" or "quilted" mdf. The variations in nature continue to impress me. Now as to the "manyoofractured" stuff- pheh! Pat

Well there is that, and it is H E A V Y. Other than what you mentioned and the weight, it's kinda fun to work with. I have a customer that has moved 3 times in the last 12 years. I helped him reface the kitchen on 2 of the homes and eaxh time he wanted plain flat doors. I built the doors out of MDF and he spray painted. The next to last home was built new and had cherry prefab cabinets installed. On his last khome he went back to the MDF doors. He has the money but wanted "that" look.
Perhaps I can go with assembled panel MDF doors on a job. The Domino makes great joints using MDF and my Rotex sander acutally does a great job sanding MDF if there is a less than perfect joint.
Leon wrote:

I guess, if you don't mind the dust that gets all over everything.