ohboy! mdf with "grain"

Page 1 of 2
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080310110857.htm Pat

'rather dull'? A master of understatement, to be sure.
I'm not sure how he translates what looks like white oak in the grainy picture to, and I quote, "some of the most espensive wood grains".
Maybe we could all build the mdf furniture first and then take it somewhere to have 'prettyness' put on it.
I think I'm gonna barf.
patrick mitchel wrote:

a rose by any other name...
--

dadiOH
____________________________
patrick mitchel wrote:

I think it's a great idea! With laser engraving, they could imitate any grain pattern they choose, from piney wood to rare burl. With good wood getting harder to find and more expensive, this may ease the strain a little bit. For mass production where cost is a driving factor, maybe they'll use this stuff and leave the nice boards for those who appreciate it.
For mass production where cost is a driving factor, maybe

Those are two mutually exclusive groups you're talking about.

THEN, what do yo do with it, paint it to look like real wood?
Leon wrote:

I imagine a stain would do the trick. It isn't something I'd want to use much, my point is that a more attractive mdf would be used more in mass produced pieces. And since it can be made from less desirable wood, it would ease the strain on the supply of good quality woods. More good stuff for us.

I think then it would look like stained imbossed wood, sorta like fiberglass entry doors that have a wood grain faux finish. It's a different look but IMHO by no realistic looking. Some siding companies have products that have a wood grain appearance and that is better than a flat finish however MDF does not do well out doors.

If this eased the demand on more desirable woods, that outld probably just mean more wood to go to Japan. They already get the best woods for veneers. IMHO this MDF would only repalce or be substituted for MDF that has a flat no texture finish. I seriousely doubt it's ability to replace any wood product over and above what regular MDF does presently.
Leon wrote:

I spent a little time in a furniture store yesterday. I'm appalled at the prices they're charging for this poorly fitted, ugly finished stuff they're passing off as furniture. My sister in law kept saying "ooh, look at the pretty wood grain in this one..." when what I saw was paper veneer over mdf. Imagine how impressed she would have been if the "pretty wood grain" had texture, and wasn't just printed.

So what makes the Japanese so special that they're getting all the good stuff? I guess they're paying the top prices for it. As long as we're happy buying paper veneered furniture, I guess that's what we'll continue to be offered.

Ihave been seeing this for 30 years and is partly the reasion I got into woodworking seriousely. I have built all the all wood furniture in our home.

Some people just don't care.

That is correct.

We live in a throw away society.

Leon wrote:

Ditto

Or are only looking at the "right now" decorator chic style. ... snip

and that is why IMO, that kind of "furniture" is so popular. It costs less than real wood and fits in with today's "let's remodel the living room we remodeled 5 years ago and throw out all the old stuff" mentality. Many people want something that looks good right now, fits the current decorating styles, and will get rid of it in a few years when they find the next big thing. I'm not wired that way. If something will last for 40 years, I'm all in; if it's only going to be good for a year or two and then needs to be replaced -- not so much.

What many of today's furniture buyers don't realize is that "Quality" is always in style.
On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:43:18 GMT, "Leon"

Same with trim and cabinetry.
Have you seen the new "high gloss laminates" that are all the rage in Keepingupwiththejonesville?
<
http://www.cantonrep.com/photos/2008/03/m_15mw__travis.jpg
As I travel around Fairfield County, CT and Westchester County, NY, every showroom has 'em in the front window.

It does look good in the showroom window. LOL. Wait till you wipe it down one time and have to treat it like a window glass to remove the streaks, smears, and smudges.
Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:

Cool, current decorating style is up to the 1950's. We've got the same kind of thing at work with our lobby furniture; they recently remodeled and put in chairs and seating areas that look like a throwback to the 1950's. Wierdest darn furniture you ever saw.

On Mar 15, 8:49am, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

High gloss in kitchens? That can be stunning. http://www.neffkitchens.com / These guys are good at polyester paint jobs on their doors that will make the Bentley people proud. (btw, a high-gloss 1949 Bentley still looks pretty good today.) Peruse, if you will, their kitchen galleries.
Functionality, design and execution transcends details like gloss. Unfortunately, sometimes gloss takes on the role of turd polish. If that is what you mean, I agree. Ugly with a shine is even uglier. Conversely, a great design can handle some gloss.

OW! MY EYES!!!!! THE PAIN!
hideous.
jc

Seeing it in person, that's my thought.
Rob mentioned how gloss can work in a kitchen, and I agree with _wood_, but this stuff is 'orribile!
It'll probably be very lucrative for the builders who are using it and charging high-end wood prices to the sheep. Fairfield Co., CT, where I'm seeing it in EVERY showroom window, is the home of everyone in the 'hood driving the same car (latest Rover or MB AWD SUV), going on the same vacations, but with enough money to hire the private jet for vacation. The poorer folks drive brand new Tahoes and 3-series Beemers.
Last fall, I was riding shotgun on some turboprop charter flights, from Westchester and Teterboro airports, where people where paying five grand+ to get a four person family to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket, a _1_ hour flight, FOR THE WEEKEND. On their personal schedule, of course!
The major takeaway for me from Teterboro Airport is that the really rich never wear socks! <G>
On Mar 22, 7:14pm, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

They use them to stash their money.
DS wrote:

The problem as I see it is that people don't know the difference. They haven't educated their tastes. They can't see the difference between good and schlock.
And that is true in all sorts of things, not just furniture. Hell, look at "prime rib roast"...not one in a hundred people know what it is.
--

dadiOH