OH WOW! Sears did it!

I would normally not have much to say about Sears other than to lament the declining quality and complain about the pushy warranty sales pitch.

But this time I really have to say something good - Sears parts has come through on their parts website with a switch for my old corded

3/8" drill. It's a 315.10514. Maybe some of you guys have one too.

Geeze, I acquired that so very long ago I have no recollection of buying it or receiving it as a gift. It's been a workhorse in my shop just about forever. Ultimately, it stopped for no apparent reason. It'd start intermittently, run a couple seconds, then stop. Disassembly showed nothing unusual, no broken leads, no burned insulation, brushes are still good. Plenty of grease in the tranny, a sealed ball bearing at the front. A ball bearing! Who'd a thought! in a Craftsman drill!!!! Holy Cow! There's a bronze bushing at the back, but that looks in really good shape yet. I'd changed the chuck to a 1/2" long ago, that's how I've been using it.

After fiddling with it for an hour, it seems that the switch is the problem. So an order has been placed for a new one. I'm pleased. This isn't be best drill ever, doesn't have good runout, but heck, it's been with me so long, it's part of the family.

Reply to
Lazarus Long