Office Desk is F I N I S H E D, whew!

Page 2 of 4
On 4/3/2013 1:51 PM, Sonny wrote:

Flickr pages. This last link (above) opened fine. I have discovered that anyone's Flickr link, not just yours, with "lightbox/" at the end of the URL, disallowed opening anyone's Flickr page. I suppose the problem must be, might be, on my end. In case anyone else has this problem, copy and paste the URL and remove the "lightbox/" before opening.

Ill try and remember to not to that far and leave the light box link out. and FWIW on ce you get a link to work you can use the newer and older buttons to move to the other links with out having to click on them all.
On Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:02:50 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Yep. I have a Flickr page, so I'm familiar with those buttoms.
Thanks. Sonny
On 4/3/2013 9:58 AM, Leon wrote:

Nicely executed, as always...

And when are they marching in two-by-two to fill up that ark? ... :)
On 4/3/2013 12:19 PM, dpb wrote:

Thank you!

My wife and I will be doing all of it and not soon enough!
Leon wrote:

It looks great, Leon. Oh, what the hell...it even looks spiffy :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 4/3/2013 1:04 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Ohhh, um OH! spiffy! thank you!

Very nice. To me, the top of the unit appears to have a concave slope to it. Does it, or is it just the slope of the upper rail giving it the illusion of a concave top?

What are you planning on putting in that space above the upper drawers?

Thank you. The only curves are the rails.. The top is straight and flat. IPhone may be to blame. :-)

Perhaps books, catalogs, small framed pictures. Nothing cast in stone.
On Wednesday, April 3, 2013 2:43:52 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

His woodworking trophies, Grandpa's/Dad's favorite carving chisel, Grandson's/Granddaughter's first gifted project, ......
Sonny
On 4/3/2013 4:35 PM, Sonny wrote:

All good Ideas! I thought of putting the tool box that I was building when I cut half my thumb off. ;~)

I'd like that! My kind of humor....
Anyway, Leon you do some really great work. That desk is no exception, and I am just as impressed with the design as the workmanship.
Very nicely done. I can't wait to see it in person.
Robert

Humor and the truth! ;~)

Thank you again Robert!

Hey only 8 months to go. LOL Of course you are always welcome if you are in the area.

Seems like it's just about the right size to put a Samurai sword on a rack. :)
On Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:58:06 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

of the top rails across the piece.
Larry

Thank you. All 5 of the rail pieces that make up hat curve were from he same board and the grain matches from piece to piece. I had to pay close attention.

So educate me here. If I were to try something like that, I imagine I'd draw a continuous curve as long as the whole unit, meaning, including where the stiles and other gaps would be. Maybe I'd use a bendable object like an electrician's snake. Then I'd mark off the rails and the center arch where they would fall on the curve. Now if I did that on actual wood I'd have some waste, but it could be done first on paper instead. I further imagine that I'd mark off only two of the rails, turning the template over for the other two to make them identical mirror images. Is that anything like what you did?
On Friday, April 5, 2013 5:09:09 AM UTC-6, Amy Guarino wrote:

the stiles and other gaps would be. Maybe I'd use a bendable object like an electrician's snake. Then I'd mark off the rails and the center arch where they would fall on the curve. Now if I did that on actual wood I'd have so me waste, but it could be done first on paper instead. I further imagine th at I'd mark off only two of the rails, turning the template over for the ot her two to make them identical mirror images. Is that anything like what yo u did?
That's a good point to question Leon about. One would think, right off, ma rking/making the arc is easy, but after thinking about it, a bit, there are likely some nuances, in the process, first thoughts would miss. I've erre d that way, before.
I'd further suggest/guess, for a first time attempt, as would be in my case , cut the rails ~~1/4" longer than the finish products, do some rough dry f itting to make sure all is on par, before cutting the rails to final finish length. Unless one has further exacting help from SketchUp, or similar, t o be more/most sure with those first cuts, a little extra length may be adv isable.
Inspect your board well, initially, as best you can, to make sure there are no defects that may cause problems at the cut sites. I've erred in that d epartment, before, as well.
Sonny
On 4/5/2013 6:41 AM, Sonny wrote:

a continuous curve as long as the whole unit, meaning, including where the stiles and other gaps would be. Maybe I'd use a bendable object like an electrician's snake. Then I'd mark off the rails and the center arch where they would fall on the curve. Now if I did that on actual wood I'd have some waste, but it could be done first on paper instead. I further imagine that I'd mark off only two of the rails, turning the template over for the other two to make them identical mirror images. Is that anything like what you did?

marking/making the arc is easy, but after thinking about it, a bit, there are likely some nuances, in the process, first thoughts would miss. I've erred that way, before.

cut the rails ~~1/4" longer than the finish products, do some rough dry fitting to make sure all is on par, before cutting the rails to final finish length. Unless one has further exacting help from SketchUp, or similar, to be more/most sure with those first cuts, a little extra length may be advisable. All rails top and bottom were cut as if they were going to be rectangular. so all the tenons and groves for the panels were cut precisely to the finished size to begin with. Full scale paper templates were then glued to the top rails and cut out on the BS. I then smoothed out those arcs and then cut the curved groove for the panel with a slot cutter on my router table. Really a very simple process.

defects that may cause problems at the cut sites. I've erred in that department, before, as well. And that is exactly where I had to pay attention too. I wanted all the rail pieces to flow so they all needed to be used in the same order that they were cut from the same board.

On 4/5/2013 6:09 AM, Amy Guarino wrote:

Sketchup is your friend ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 4/5/2013 8:48 AM, Swingman wrote:

street. But let's assume we were better acquainted; the idea would be to draw a continuous curve that spans the whole unit, including the gaps, right? And if Leon did it that way, what sort of curve did he use? As gentle as it is, it might not matter a great deal if it were an arc of a circle or some other curve, but inquiring minds want to know. :)
Most importantly, suppose I were to take Sketchup to lunch a few times, maybe to a ballgame, introduce the wives and kids, lend him some tools, etc. I'd still have to transfer the curve from my good virtual buddy to the stock. How does one do that? Smaller pieces might be printable, if laser printers can be trusted, but what about the middle arch? Does one repair to the nearest large-format print shop?