Office Desk is F I N I S H E D, whew!

This project has come to a close and adds to our collection of, too damn big" furniture.

Anyway I may add some accent lighting to the upper unit and I need to address the wires under the desk top, I have plenty of support under the desk top that I could hang the wiring, sub wolfer, and UPS.

I think I may eventually extend the top trim out another layer and put LED ribbon lighting under it's edge and or add the same type lighting along the bottom rail just above the monitor. That may be too close and cause glare, maybe not.

So here is a shot of the desk from a distance just outside the office. The desk and top are about 86" tall, and 96" wide. The desk top is 34" deep. I am happy with all of the arcs, the top rails of each desk drawer, the gradual one just under the desk top in front, it has another

3/4" rail, attached just behind it and there are 3 more pairs of rails behind that. And I am especially happy with the ark created from the door top rails that integrate with the cubby top face frame rail.

From inside the office straight into the desk top,

And a couple of close ups of the in/out boxes in the top. I used the Incra iBox jig to cut assist with cutting the box joints for the boxes. The whistling boxes are a 1/4" white oak.

Leon

Ridiculous! Exception work, very impressed.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Spectacularly taking the genre up a dozen more notches!

Reply to
Swingman

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Beautiful!! Now I found the Rockler lumber section and saw 1/4"woods there!!

Reply to
Han

Great design and great execution. Remind, what is the finish?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

That's a keeper and a design to be proud of.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Thank you! Re-dick'l'us? LOL

Reply to
Leon

Thank you again!

Missing the thought of breakfast at Taciria Chiwawa. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Drive-by warning...

First off Thank you!

I resawed 4/4 s4s on my Laguna BS with a 1.25" Resaw King blade and then did a touch up at the drum sander to bring the final thickness to .25".

Reply to
Leon

Do a google on "cable tray" to get some ideas.

I have some Bush office furniture that came with cable trays. That and some under desk computer mounts keeps everything off the floor and out of sight.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Thank you!

I used Old Masters Gel varnish, applied with a folded Scotts blue shop paper towel and excess wiped with the same. 3 coats.

Leon

Thank you! I'll be keeping it, unless of course... ;~)

Can't wait for the cherry to darken.

Reply to
Leon

Nicely executed, as always...

And when are they marching in two-by-two to fill up that ark? ... :)

Reply to
dpb

Pretty much what I was thinking, I am almost there with the top support. just a few hangers for the big stuff.

Leon

It looks great, Leon. Oh, what the hell...it even looks spiffy :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Never seen this brand it before. Looks good on the desk. I use wiping poly on heavy wear items like desk tops. Maybe I'll try gel varnish next time. I have used gel stain and liked it.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Thank you!

My wife and I will be doing all of it and not soon enough!

Reply to
Leon

Ohhh, um OH! spiffy! thank you!

Reply to
Leon

heavy wear items like desk tops. Maybe I'll try gel varnish next time. I have used gel stain and liked it.

The brand has been around for a long time IIRC, 35+ years.

If you like gel stains, you should really like gel varnishes. Like anything else there are different qualities.

I originally started using Bartley gel stains and varnishes in the early

90's. Bartely's sold out to Lawrence McFadden and I loved the LM gel varnish but they went out of business. I was not impressed by General Finishes gel varnishes, YMMV

Out of desperation I dried Old Masters, it was the most like the LM gel stain.

There is a bit of a learning curve. The first coat is always simple, wipe it on, immediately wipe it off. Second coat wipe on and wipe/smooth ASAP, after a minute or so. The thicker you put it on the easier it is to remove. This coat tends to take time to dry depending on the humidity and temperature. For me lower humidity works better but in Houston that is hard to come by. The instructions call for a second wipe down/buff with a new clean cloth between coats and this tends to be a bit harder to determine when to do so, sooner is better or much much later is better. Having said all of this using the Scotts paper towels I never had to wipe/buff a "second time between coats".

Once dry to the touch you can apply another coat. On a good day I can apply 3 coats.

Once thoroughly dry wrap a piece of paper around a block of wood and rub it all down to give it a baby butt smooth surface.

FWIW I used it on this also,

Leon

e and adds to our collection of, too damn >> big" furniture.

Looks great, as usual. Makes me want to do something about my desk scenari o, get rid of some of the clutter AND upgrade the whole niche.

://

Not a complaint: You may recall, some time ago, I had trouble opening your Flickr pages. This last link (above) opened fine. I have discovered tha t anyone's Flickr link, not just yours, with "lightbox/" at the end of the URL, disallowed opening anyone's Flickr page. I suppose the problem must b e, might be, on my end. In case anyone else has this problem, copy and pas te the URL and remove the "lightbox/" before opening.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny