Offcut management

Page 2 of 2

<http://www.bburke.com/wood/index.html
The photo shows something that really pleases my wife.
Barry

I use mine for intarsia ... or, I should say, my rationaliz^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hjustification for saving small offcuts is that they would be useful for doing intarsia. SO far I've only managed to do a couple of simple intarsia projects.
I have a shelf for pieces of exotics or exceptional figured woods that are large enough to make small boxes or be panels for boxtops. If they get too small for that, I store them in one of two Rubbermaid bins. The first one is for pieces that I see as having some real value, and the second is for wood to go in the outdoor firepit or barbeque. I periodically sort through the first bin and move stuff from there to the firewood bin.
It's amazing how scraps that seemed vaulable at one time don't look like much when they're filling up the bin to the point of overflowing.
I also keep one of those big plastic "painter's buckets" nearby and toss long thin scraps in that. They usually wind up as firewood or barbeque wood.
Chuck Vance
Finger joint them into boards
make butcher blocks and cutting boards

Management of wood cut-offs is a relatively simple process.
First, you need to sort and store by species.
Secondly, you should sort by size and thickness.
Third, as needed, toss into woodburner. The pieces too large for the woodburner probably shouldn't have been in the scrap pile.
I hope this helps.
--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know

Glad you asked....see my woodscraps site.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lawlhote /
Larry
Cut them into pen blanks and either use them or sell them on ebay.
Jim http://www.woodblog.com My woodworking projects updated daily.

proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
I put them carefully in a big box for later use, where the termites get to them within a couple of months. Sometimes I sft threough them and get bitten by a spider.

How about donating them to a Senior Center that offers woodworking?
Stinky
Snip
Someone posted somewhere that they glue the pieces pell-mell into blocks, cut up the blocks, rearrange, glue up the pieces into blocks, then apply a lathe.
-Phil Crow