Off Topic: What do you think of my remote start installation?

Page 1 of 4

x-no-archive:yes
I installed a remote starter myself and the results are posted on the company's website where I bought the remote starter. www.MRINSTALL.com It is on a 1996 Chevy Silverado truck. The link is half way down the page.
Just wanted to see what you thought. Be easy. I am not an expert at all of this. This was my first time installing something like this.
try alt.trucks.chevy
stryped wrote:

What purpose does a remote starter serve?
x-no-archive:yes
It starts my truck for me when I want via remote. It is helpful when there is frost because my wife parks in the garage and my truck wont fit too because of all my tools! Leon wrote:

So you trust your vehicle to not take off accidentally? And yes, I know it should not happen but what if, the doors were unlocked or the windows were down and a kid got in side. Having retired from the automotive industry I have seen a lot of situations where vehicles left unattended ended up in an accident.
The Leon entity posted thusly:

Above line disabled.

I can't speak for stryped's car or brand of remote starter, but any well designed one will have all sorts of safeguards against this sort of thing. They pretty much have to be well designed in this day of litigious actions for virtually every little thing.
The one on my wife's car, for example, cannot be moved after starting the engine remotely until the key has been placed into the ignition switch and turned to the 'ON' position.
With the motor running after remote starting, you cannot place the transmission (automatic) into gear without pressing the brake pedal. Pressing the brake pedal before inserting and turning the key will cause the engine to shut off immediately.
A remote starter is a marvellous invention for those of us in the frozen north, who would much rather enter a warmed-up car with the seat heaters already going.

Agreed.
Sounds reasonable.

Cool
So uh you can do like us in the South and simply go out there, start the car, and then go back inside? ;~)
How hard is it to start the car from inside the house? I am for ever accidentally unarming my car alarm when the change in my pocket pushes on a button. That would be kinda tough on a car engine idling all night long.

I've done that too. Now, when I walk in the house I toss my keys on a shelf.
My next car WILL have a remote starter.

Nah - they usually shut off after 15 minutes or so. In the northeast they are handy devices. I installed one in my wife's car so that she did not have to walk out to the parking lot to start her car in the winter to warm it up and de-ice the windshield. She'd start it from inside work and by the time she went out to it the car was warm and the windows were at least somewhat melted of ice instead of her having to stand out there with an ice scraper like we used to do in the dark ages. In the summer it's handy to jump into an already cooled down car.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

LOL.. Maybe in the North. If you lived in the South where it really gets hot you would soon learn that an automobile has to be moving for the air conditioning to work properly or efficiently. IIRC My remote will roll down the windows.

down
Sure - it's more efficient, but it's still a lot better even at an idle than just jumping in the car.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Maybe up North. ;~)

Yeah - but that's where I am. That engine running time really earns its keep more in the winter though.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Yeah I'll agree. The heater works better with the car setting still.

They automatically stop after a predetermined amount of time. Mine's set at ten minutes, just enough to keep the battery topped off.

Ever try to open your doors when they're frozen shut?

If the keys aren't put in within a few minutes, the car shuts off.

The ones I am familiar with require two separate button press actions. This makes an accidental activation much less likely.
Also, the engine shuts down if you don't put the key in the ignition in a certain time period.
The Leon entity posted thusly:

Does it get to -30 in the south very often?

Not very hard. I have often locked/unlocked her car with the original remote, but have yet to unintentionally lock/unlock/alarm/start the car with the remote for the starter. Better design, I think.
Oleg Lego wrote:

Oh yah, takes 10 minutes just ta get yer parrka 'n stuff an, sure.
A little collder and ya might wanna put an a sweater, tew.
er
--
email not valid

Great Concept! Maybe if they had had those 30 years ago I wouldn't have left Saskatchewan, but not likely.