off topic question

I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what software most people use. I was using outlook express but just downloaded XNews to try.

Reply to
a34655

I used to use Agent, but have been just going through google lately. Not sure why, I really like agent. JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Mozilla.

No Microsoft

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

MT-Newswatcher MacOS X, but for a quick read to see what's up, I simply Google this group in either Safari or FireFox, depending on what's running.

Reply to
Robatoy

Xnews works great once you get familiar with it. I generally use OE, but run Xnews some too. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I've tried quite a lot of newsreaders on both Windows and Linux and for the moment ended up with Outlook Express with the "OE-Quotefix" add-on. Agent works but it's not enough better to be worth the price IMO, and has fallen victim to creeping featuritis. Most of the freeware has enough, um, "undocumented features", to be annoying. None are perfect.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"Greg O" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I use Xnews and like it quite a bit. It works well for me, and it's reasonably intuitive. I don't think about using the program, I think about doing tasks with it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Thunderbird.

Thunderbird comes fairly close to PAN which, as far as I am concerned, is the 'gold standard' of newsreaders. Sadly, it isn't available for Microsoft.

OE gives me a rash.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

It isn't? You might want to tell the developers that.

OE gives me a rash.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I recommend Gravity.

2.6 is the best in my opinion. MicroPlanet decided to discontinue developing the project (it was a commercial product once upon a time) and turned it loose as unsupported freeware, the original designer then went and did one last comprehensive update on his own time which resulted in version 2.6

There is a sourceforge project that has turned out version 2.7 but they had to drop a bunch of features and change others because of patents and copyright, and I don't like that version as much.

Another client is Forte Agent. Forte Agent's interface doesn't work for me: for some reason, I just can't warm to it. But those two are arguably the two most mature newsreaders out there.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

From: a34655

I have a feeling i'll be almost completely unique in this answer: batimail.

Ok, That's a lie... I used batimail until about last week, now i'm using gnus.

Batmail was a client also developed at CMU to read email/usenet/local bboards through AMS (Andrew Message System) which we used. Batimail is a client that was developed at CMU to replace batmail when we switched to imap based mail/usenet/local bboards.

A couple weeks ago, they decided to discontinue the usenet feed via imap, and batimail isn't set up to handle external newsfeeds. (AFAIK)

So last week, i made the switch to gnus.... I don't like it as much as bat(i)mail... but at least i can change the functionality easily enough. (it runs under emacs, which is really easy to bend to your will.) I can't blow through the groups like i used to (still learning gnus), but I'm getting used to it.

Reply to
flip+

I don't understand, why use anything Microsoft?

That's why Mozilla exists, so you don't have to use Microsoft.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Agreed. It's the best for Windoze. I'm still looking for a good one for Linux, I've tried a bunch and am currently using Knews but still not happy. Maybe I'll run Gravity under Wine :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

slrn -

on Windows and Linux.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

a34655 wrote in news:Xns98EEE02DC93BDa34655hotmailcom@66.250.146.128:

I've been using xnews for maybe 4 or 5 years. Works just fine. Others have more 'bling', but so what? Many other folks have fancier toolkits than mine, too.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Fancier tool kits that you? Bah! You're not worth talking to anymore.

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote in news:465bf$45f2f667$cef88bc5$1405 @TEKSAVVY.COM:

We never talked much before, either. ;)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I don't know what most people use, but personally if I couldn't use trn from a shell account I don'tknow what I'd do.

Reply to
Larry W

I never used trn, but going from using tin from a shell account on a long distance phone call to using waffle offline was an epiphany . You should try it some time ;-)

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

I used it for the same reason others use it ... it came on the computer.

I left it there because I wanted to give XP a fair trial. "Who knows", I thought, "maybe it's not a runny heap of troll food anymore."

Okay. I've done that. Using Windows is still painful. It is still beta software.

I grabbed & burned the ISOs for FC6 a couple days ago. I am also downloading the Live CD's for FC6 and Unbuntu as I type this. I'll burn them, reboot and play for a couple days then reboot and play with the other for a day or two. Then I'll scrape every last byte of Microsoft off my hard drive.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit