OFF TOPIC!! Independence Day Screwups

In case you haven't heard, San Diego has taken fireworks shows to a whole new level. They not only start the show five minutes early, but the shoot off three barges of fireworks all at once! Very efficient. The whole show was big, loud and over in fifteen seconds. (Sounds like some guys sex life.) It was supposed to last 15 minutes. I wonder if somebody is going to get paid. LOL
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuJHfkXEI-o

On Jul 5, 9:41am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Sometimes the folks setting up the shows are fairly inexperienced. There is a pretty successful fireworks exhibition company in the Wichita area called Stellar Fireworks (formerly Austin I believe). About 15 years ago they won some national competitions and began to grow rapidly. A nephew of ours got a summer college job with them that turned out to be a youngster's dream job. They spent hours preparing individual charges and putting them on trucks. Much of the display was choreographed to music via computers. Our nephew was an IT guru so they noticed him quickly. Before long this 19-20 year old kid was taking truck loads of fireworks all over the county setting up displays. They never had a problem but it sure as hell made mom and dad nervous.
RonB
Lee Michaels wrote:

A few years back I lived in a small town. The amateur rocketeers set up on the ball field behind the national guard armory. One rocked sort of petered out about 20 ft off the ground and fell back on the pile of un-fired rockets. A couple of guys started trying to kick it off the unfired ones while everyone else headed for the hills.
It all ended ok with no serious injuries, but there were the makings of a bad accident.
--
G.W. Ross

A Metaphor is like a Simile.
On 7/5/2012 9:41 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Well, I was just thankful to get through the night w/o some doofus lighting off the county and burning us out. Stayed up 'til about one keeping an eye out...
_Only_ three fires near enough to be worrisome yesterday afternoon; that's a pretty good year. W/ 100F, <20% RH and winds to 30+, it's a bugger if the grass gets lit off.
One just west two weekends ago covered 2-1/2 miles in under 30 minutes; fortunately wind was in _just_ the right direction it missed the nearest farmstead by about 100 yds but did take out a guy's windbreak where are intending to build and managed to get it headed a half-mile south of the next farm to the north. We're still not sure what kept kept the embers from getting into that still-standing wheat but got lucky...
We'll just have to see what happens tonight and then over the weekend... Out here unfortunately it's gotten where 5 May and 25 Dec are as worrisome as 4 July. :(