Off Topic: Here is a man whose life was more meaningful than Michael Jackson's

Turkey, definitely. Bison can be extremely variable from tough & dry to absolutely superb, almost as good as moose. But the smokies are probably 50% pork fat, so you don't need to worry about them being dry.

And butter. Sniff. :-( Luckily they haven't cut out the olive oil & vino after my heart attack.

Lucky man! Must be all that sailing, or maybe sniffing epoxy? ;-)

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

to absolutely superb, almost as good as moose. But the smokies are probably 50% pork fat, so you don't need to worry about them being dry.

Stopped at an art festival in Wyoming and had a bison burger.

It was BAD.

vino after my heart attack.

I use a lot of bacon, which I dice and render till crispy, then pour off the bacon grease and replace with olive oil.

Naw, as a sailor, think BEER, the lubricant of life.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew, you're more than welcome to pass the bison my way!

All I can figure is that it must have been either the cut or the way it was prepared. The bison steaks and roasts that I've encountered has been much like beef, both in preparation and, except for being a little richer and sweeter, in taste.

But, we are in total agreement on the turkey. To paraphrase Will Rogers, I've never met a turkey that I liked.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

It was a burger, totally tasteless.

Maybe if they had added a can of Pace Plicate sauce, might have made a passable sloppy joe.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Good article. Thanks for sharing. It does cast a different light on the salt's influence on our bodies, but the bottom line is still the same=96stay the hell away from that stuff as much as you can but don't go nuts doing it. One of Angela's friends, a rehab nurse, lets out those GASPs when I sprinkle a wee bit of salt on either a fresh tomato or an egg... she reacts almost as if I tied off my arm with surgical tubing then banged a 10cc fit of Chine White into my veins.

It is all about moderation and balance and keeping an eye on those mass-production-convenience-food bastards who do much better selling you salt than actual meat/flour etc. We are basic animals when it comes to our craving for salt and fat, in fact, that's how we got here. It is when we introduced processed foods and started messing with dairy products and bleaching flour that's when we started getting vapour-lock and blowing veins in our heads. The stats prove it.

Annnnd, it is not the 6-pack of beer that is killing people, it's the horse-c*ck sausages and potato chips.... and of course pickled eggs, but that's more an environmental issue.

Reply to
Robatoy

Then you've never had either one properly prepared. I've had bison several times in restaurants, and I find it just as juicy as beef, and more flavorful. Turkey cooked in a conventional oven *is* frequently very dry, but I haven't eaten turkey cooked that way for thirty years -- not since I learned you can cook them in a microwave. Takes about an hour and a half to cook a fifteen-pound bird with stuffing. Moist, juicy... MMMMM!

Reply to
Doug Miller

horse-c*ck sausages ......

Haven't heard that expression since the mid 70s.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

We didn't have a men's side in taverns in Quebec. Women were simply not allowed. And draft came in 12oz. glasses @ 10 cents each & you would get 2 or 4, ordered by putting up 2 or 4 fingers. So a quarter would get you 24 oz. as you did have to tip the waiter a nickel if you ever expected to drink in that tavern again.

This came to an end when the PQ created Brasseries so women could buy draft beer too and taverns eventually all converted by putting in a women's can.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

That tipping procedure was explained to me in Val d'Or.... in no uncertain terms.

Reply to
Robatoy

Well you know what they say in Florida: What's the difference between a Canadian and a canoe. The canoe tips.

On the other hand, we tend to tip like crazy in Cuba & give people a bunch of stuff like the clothes of our back. I had to explain that to fellow Brit & Italian tourists in our all inclusive resort. Go figure.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

...and here I thought there was only ONE hole in the ground.. kinda like a unisex pissoir/dumpoir...

Reply to
Robatoy

in the name of The Congress takes pleasure in presenting the

Medal of Honor

FOSS, JOSEPH JACOB

Rank and organization: Captain, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve...

Entered service at: South Dakota. Born: 17 April 1 915, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Citation:

For outstanding heroism and courage above and beyond the call of duty as executive officer of Marine Fighting Squadron 121, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, at Guadalcanal. Engaging in almost daily combat with the enemy from 9 October to 19 November 1942, Capt. Foss personally shot down 23 Japanese planes and damaged others so severely that their destruction was extremely probable...

/s/Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
HeyBub

These particular security guards should lose their jobs for stupidity above and beyond the bounds of imagination.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'd be hesitant to blame them. I'm sure they were hired for having the exact same rigid qualifications that someone decided were necessary for that position. Place the blame on someone higher up the food chain.

Reply to
Upscale

We can thank modern medicine for that, not our diet. Simple things like insulin, antibiotics, defibrillators, ambulances, training....but you knew that. Our life expectancy increased IN SPITE of our diet. Imagine if we took care of ourselves.

Reply to
Robatoy

I think the stats prove when all this crap was introduced, our life expectancy increased by 40 years or so...

I think living too damn long is what is killing people...

As for salt, your body is mostly salt water.... 2/3 salt water... wait, that might be the earth? Anyway, I know your body is salty, last time I sweated too much, it tasted salty... Has that changed?

Reply to
Jack Stein