Off Topic: E-Mail Client Suggestions

Page 2 of 3

On 8/16/2010 11:41 PM, Bill wrote:

Intel made that decision. No point in holding the hardware back with an operating system that can't make full use of it.

Intel decided it had been dragging it's feet long enough.

And actually, AMD made the decision, and that decision effectively killed itanium and led Intel to adopt the AMD X86_64 (64-bit) processor extensions.
scott
On 19 Aug 2010 00:06:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Itanic was still-born. Intel dragged its feet until it had no other choice, other than to cede the entire market to AMD.

I wouldn't go so far as still-born. SGI, HP and others still offer Itanium based solutions. The fact that Merced was so late was the biggest early-life issue with Itanium. McKinley was the first real usable processor. I know of at least two current systems being designed around Tukwila/Poulson.
Itanium's biggest problem was EPIC - it really made the hardware and especially software designers jobs much more difficult. The PAL/SAL layers, on the other hand, were quite well designed.
Some of the Itanium technology will likely find its way into the Xeon line (the Nehalem processor, the first of many generations of server-class high-end processor, introduced QPI into the Xeon line, for example, as well as some additional RAS features).
That said, QPI is a point-to-point system interconnect like the Lightning Data Transport (aka Hypertransport(tm)) technology that AMD introduced in 2001; again, Intel learns from a competitor.
scott
In this march to the 64 bit world, makes you wonder how JPL ever managed to get the Mars rover program operational with only 8 bit technology.
Lew

On 8/18/2010 10:03 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

One suspects that in part they accomplished that by using supercomputers to analyze what the thing had to do and boil it down to an algorithm that could fit in the limited capacity of the CPU that they chose.
Sounds kind of two bit now.
In this march to the 64 bit world, makes you wonder how JPL ever managed to get the Mars rover program operational with only 8 bit technology.
Lew

JPL didn't run WinBlows on the Mars Rover. ;-)
On 8/16/2010 1:13 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Exactly ... as long as it doesn't talk back to you.
My mechanic is still using a DOS program for his business. Only time I ever see that blue screen anymore is when having my truck serviced. Brings back memories.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On Aug 16, 11:18am, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

And then there is linux... That would solve your problem.
Maybe, maybe not. My son-in-law kept touting Linux for years. Finally I handed him my ACER laptop and asked hime to set it up for me.
He can't get the dial-up working. Soething about the software modems causes LINUX to hiccup. And, I've been told, if I ever do get the laptop modem recognized and working, I won't be able to continue using NetZero as NZ doesn't support LINUX/UNIX.
Trust me, if there was an easy way to leave Gates Shit in the dust, I'd have done so fifteen years ago.
Hell, I could like with MS-DOS 6.1
Hoosierpopi wrote:

Your problem may well be that there are no drivers for the unique hardware in a laptop. You might try a USB modem.
I'd suggest a Mcintosh, but most of Apple's software is written by Microsoft.
If it's any help, Bill Gates is no longer associated with Microsoft (aside from being a stockholder).
On 8/19/10 4:56 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I believe all of those are software modems.

--
Froz...

That's always the problem with "soft" modems, the main reason I never bought one.

Most? Bullshit. They wrote M$ Office and MediaPlayer for the MAC, of course, but that's about it.

Ballmer is far worse than Gates ever dreamed of being.
scrap that crap and go with Thunderbird.
On 8/16/2010 2:26 AM, DGDevin wrote:

BTW the fact that Thunderbird won't receive means you don't have the setup correctly for receiving. Goto server settings for receiving. try resetting the parameters
On 8/16/2010 2:26 AM, DGDevin wrote:

Lee Michaels wrote:

I am currently running Thunderbird as an email client on Windows7 (64-bit) and I am using SeaMonkey, which is a very similar program, as a newsgroup client and an email client. I'm not completely satisfied with SeaMonkey as a newsgroup client, but I was in the same position you were in a few weeks ago of having a new Windows7 system. Both of these programs are free. I suspect that you can reconfigure Thunderbird to make it work. If you having it running on one computer, you should be able to see what the settings (URLs and port #'s) need to be on the new computer. Good luck!
Bill

Bill wrote:

Perhaps his inability to change the color scheme on Win 7 to something suitable and his inability to get TB to work properly says more about his capabilities than any deficiences in those - and possibly other - programs.
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in

connection. Therefore, I also use Eudora 7.1.0.9. You could then copy the mailbox folder to the location of your choice for whatever you mean with

I'd use Karen's replicator to automagically copy things.
Eudora newsgroup: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows Caveat: Eudora is not like Outhouse Express.
--
Best regards
Han