Off Topic: E-Mail Client Suggestions

Any suggestions for an email client that will run on Windows 7 (64-bit)?

The Live mail crap that comes with it is worthless and hard to see. I tried to install Mozilla Thunderbird. It would send but not receive.

I need something that I can archive the messages easily and access them from another location. Preferably without needing the email client.

Thanx guys.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I was unhappy with the idea that Windows Live was all Win 7 could do for mail until someone pointed out to me that Windows Live Mail is not the same thing as Windows Live. Windows Live Mail is pretty much Outlook Express in look and function. Once I had Windows Live Mail set up and my mail and news looked like they had with OE in Windows XP I was a lot happier with Win 7.

Reply to
DGDevin

I am currently running Thunderbird as an email client on Windows7 (64-bit) and I am using SeaMonkey, which is a very similar program, as a newsgroup client and an email client. I'm not completely satisfied with SeaMonkey as a newsgroup client, but I was in the same position you were in a few weeks ago of having a new Windows7 system. Both of these programs are free. I suspect that you can reconfigure Thunderbird to make it work. If you having it running on one computer, you should be able to see what the settings (URLs and port #'s) need to be on the new computer. Good luck!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:4c68c478$0$10352$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I use gmail quite a bit, but then you'd always need an internet connection. Therefore, I also use Eudora 7.1.0.9. You could then copy the mailbox folder to the location of your choice for whatever you mean with

I'd use Karen's replicator to automagically copy things.

Eudora newsgroup: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows Caveat: Eudora is not like Outhouse Express.

Reply to
Han

Windows Live Mail's more whistle than pig ... built by folks who, instead of standing on the shoulders of the giants who came before them, have the audacity to think they could improve upon the basically simple requirements of an email/nntp client by the addition of whiz bang bells and whistles ... welcome to the world of twenty something numb nuts.

I still think that trying to get TB working is your best bet. Switched over to it, reluctantly, on my laptop after giving WLM a year of my time.

Not an elegant solution, but, and I looked hard, I don't think there is anything in this day and age that will get you closer to what you've been used to.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:J_ydnQHga_y3sPTRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Karl, do try out Eudora. It's different, and doesn't do nntp of course (that's what Xnews is for).

Reply to
Han

I've tried it, Han. A number of times during the last ten years, but I kept taking it off the hard drive because it simply did not suit me.

I got particular about my message client back in the hey day of FidoNet (AAMOF, I co-wrote the very first Windows FidoNet message client for echo mail back in the early 90's ... I did the GUI), and have been ruined ever since. :)

Reply to
Swingman

As a computer engineer ...

I use Outlook, primarily because of work, but it makes a decent all-in-one solution for me for email, contacts and calendar.

Microsoft offers Windows Mail Live (Free), not to be confused with MSN Live (a.k.a. Hotmail). I have not personally used it but many of my collegues and clients use it and are quite happy with it.

I also use GMail. It allows me to have my work mail and personal email forwarded to one account. That makes life very easy when I'm on the road and cannot connect directly.

There are a number of good email applications available, it just depends on the features you want. One that is often used is Forte Agent. Yes, it's a newreader but it is also an email application.

Good luck! `Casper

Reply to
Casper

Perhaps his inability to change the color scheme on Win 7 to something suitable and his inability to get TB to work properly says more about his capabilities than any deficiences in those - and possibly other - programs.

Reply to
HeyBub

scrap that crap and go with Thunderbird.

Reply to
tiredofspam

BTW the fact that Thunderbird won't receive means you don't have the setup correctly for receiving. Goto server settings for receiving. try resetting the parameters

Reply to
tiredofspam

I understand, Karl, and I feel for you. For me what counts is that all email coming from several accounts (somewhere between 5 and 10) goes into a central inbox first and then is filtered to many different mailboxes, manually or automagically.

But indeed it would require some setup and real adjustment as to Eudora's peculiarities, I think.

Reply to
Han

It's all in what you are either used to, or, somewhat like wives, what you can learn to live with. :)

I disliked TB when I first started using it, but I disliked Windows Live Mail much more ... MUCH.

Now that I've been using TB for about a year, I've gotten used to those things I didn't initially like, and even gotten fond of some of them ... go figure! ;)

Familiarity generally breeds acceptance in some degree. :)

Reply to
Swingman

On that same note ... finding software to replace something you've used for years, coupled with the fact that the older you get the more resistant to change you become, sometimes violently.

I've been using Microsoft Money for my personal stuff for a hundred years or so, and damned if it doesn't expire next month, and is now bugging the isht out of with it's nagging every time I open it.

I know, I know ... I can get the "sunset version" offline for free ... but screw that with no online capability, so I'm thinking about going to Quicken, except that I am forced to use QuickBooks in one of my businesses and have learned to loath Intuit's slick business practices, I.e, forcing upgrade$ in order to maintain online capability.

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be another option that will interface with TurboTax while gracefully importing damn near 20 years of .mny files.

I tried Quicken 20 years ago and it reminded me of a bad cartoon ... I can't get over the interface to this day. :(

I feel your pain, Lee ...

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:V92dnQRjNe7g9_TRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I know, I know. I used Dollars and $ense until it collapsed. Have been using Quicken ever since. I now upgrade generally every other year. Won't go to 2011, since Quicken may be on its last legs since Quicken and Mint merged. Note that Quicken and Quickbooks are 2 different programs and may not be able to exchange files or info. I have never been able to get TTax to import Quicken data, but that is in all likelyhood me, not Quicken. Mint and banks' websites may be alternative ...

It is always really, really annoying that new versions of Quicken mainy change the gui. alt.comp.software.financial.quicken will shortly have the first reviews of Q2011, I think.

Reply to
Han

Reply to
tiredofspam

RE: Subject

Still running the business and personal things on a DOS 2.0 based program that has not had an update since 1990.

Have a text based database file with over 900 records that have about

30 fields/record and requires less than 300K.

Back then, they knew how to write tight code.

As long as XP allows me to continue to run this program, be a cold day in hell before I update to W7.

As long as my task doesn't change, why should my software?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If you do take the plunge, avoid the 64 bit versions, that old software will definitely not run under a 64 bit OS. Only way around that would be dual booting, or running a 32 bit OS in a virtual machine.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Exactly ... as long as it doesn't talk back to you.

My mechanic is still using a DOS program for his business. Only time I ever see that blue screen anymore is when having my truck serviced. Brings back memories.

Reply to
Swingman

Lew

Reply to