Off Topic: E-Mail Client Suggestions

Page 1 of 3

Any suggestions for an email client that will run on Windows 7 (64-bit)?
The Live mail crap that comes with it is worthless and hard to see. I tried to install Mozilla Thunderbird. It would send but not receive.
I need something that I can archive the messages easily and access them from another location. Preferably without needing the email client.
Thanx guys.
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message

I was unhappy with the idea that Windows Live was all Win 7 could do for mail until someone pointed out to me that Windows Live Mail is not the same thing as Windows Live. Windows Live Mail is pretty much Outlook Express in look and function. Once I had Windows Live Mail set up and my mail and news looked like they had with OE in Windows XP I was a lot happier with Win 7.
On 8/16/2010 1:26 AM, DGDevin wrote:

Windows Live Mail's more whistle than pig ... built by folks who, instead of standing on the shoulders of the giants who came before them, have the audacity to think they could improve upon the basically simple requirements of an email/nntp client by the addition of whiz bang bells and whistles ... welcome to the world of twenty something numb nuts.
I still think that trying to get TB working is your best bet. Switched over to it, reluctantly, on my laptop after giving WLM a year of my time.
Not an elegant solution, but, and I looked hard, I don't think there is anything in this day and age that will get you closer to what you've been used to.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Karl, do try out Eudora. It's different, and doesn't do nntp of course (that's what Xnews is for).
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/16/2010 7:27 AM, Han wrote:

I've tried it, Han. A number of times during the last ten years, but I kept taking it off the hard drive because it simply did not suit me.
I got particular about my message client back in the hey day of FidoNet (AAMOF, I co-wrote the very first Windows FidoNet message client for echo mail back in the early 90's ... I did the GUI), and have been ruined ever since. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I understand, Karl, and I feel for you. For me what counts is that all email coming from several accounts (somewhere between 5 and 10) goes into a central inbox first and then is filtered to many different mailboxes, manually or automagically.
But indeed it would require some setup and real adjustment as to Eudora's peculiarities, I think.
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/16/2010 11:02 AM, Han wrote:

It's all in what you are either used to, or, somewhat like wives, what you can learn to live with. :)
I disliked TB when I first started using it, but I disliked Windows Live Mail much more ... MUCH.
Now that I've been using TB for about a year, I've gotten used to those things I didn't initially like, and even gotten fond of some of them ... go figure! ;)
Familiarity generally breeds acceptance in some degree. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 8/16/2010 11:24 AM, Swingman wrote:

On that same note ... finding software to replace something you've used for years, coupled with the fact that the older you get the more resistant to change you become, sometimes violently.
I've been using <gasp> Microsoft Money for my personal stuff for a hundred years or so, and damned if it doesn't expire next month, and is now bugging the isht out of with it's nagging every time I open it.
I know, I know ... I can get the "sunset version" offline for free ... but screw that with no online capability, so I'm thinking about going to Quicken, except that I am forced to use QuickBooks in one of my businesses and have learned to loath Intuit's slick business practices, I.e, forcing upgrade$ in order to maintain online capability.
Unfortunately, there does not appear to be another option that will interface with TurboTax while gracefully importing damn near 20 years of .mny files.
I tried Quicken 20 years ago and it reminded me of a bad cartoon ... I can't get over the interface to this day. :(
I feel your pain, Lee ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I know, I know. I used Dollars and $ense until it collapsed. Have been using Quicken ever since. I now upgrade generally every other year. Won't go to 2011, since Quicken may be on its last legs since Quicken and Mint merged. Note that Quicken and Quickbooks are 2 different programs and may not be able to exchange files or info. I have never been able to get TTax to import Quicken data, but that is in all likelyhood me, not Quicken. Mint and banks' websites may be alternative ...
It is always really, really annoying that new versions of Quicken mainy change the gui. alt.comp.software.financial.quicken will shortly have the first reviews of Q2011, I think.
--
Best regards
Han

I don't know if it will import mny files, but if you abhor Quickbooks, then you might want to look at Peachtree Accounting.
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) writes:

You may want to look at this, too:
http://www.gnucash.org /
scott
Thunderbird already has that capability
On 8/16/2010 12:02 PM, Han wrote:

RE: Subject
Still running the business and personal things on a DOS 2.0 based program that has not had an update since 1990.
Have a text based database file with over 900 records that have about 30 fields/record and requires less than 300K.
Back then, they knew how to write tight code.
As long as XP allows me to continue to run this program, be a cold day in hell before I update to W7.
As long as my task doesn't change, why should my software?
Lew
On 8/16/10 2:13 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

definitely not run under a 64 bit OS. Only way around that would be dual booting, or running a 32 bit OS in a virtual machine.
--
Froz...

"FrozenNorth" wrote:

HUH!
Lew
On 8/16/10 3:18 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

XP, Vista and Win 7 all come in both 32 and 64 bit flavours. XP was pretty rare in 64 bit. The advantage of the 64 bit versions is they support much more RAM installed, in fact more than can be physically installed in most computers these days. 64 bit versions will not natively run older 16 bit, ie. DOS, and Win 3.1 era type software.
It doesn't sound like you would want to deal with the workarounds to make it work.
Hope that helps.
--
Froz...

"FrozenNorth" wrote:

My XP is definitely 32 bit.

Running todays programs, what advantage does 64 bit give me?
Don't seem to have speed or memory problems, but then again, I wouldn't recognize them if they bit me. -------------------------------------

Not if I don't have to.
Lew

On 8/16/2010 10:55 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

In some cases you have no choice. If you want to run the current version of some Adobe applications, they come 64-bit only.

J. Clarke wrote:

Furthermore, it is Microsoft's goal to make "64-bit" the new standard.

There is little reason not to, at this point. Well, other than it *is* M$ and they'll screw it up.