Off Topic: Darwin Award

Page 2 of 3
On 3/3/10 3:00 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I was trying to narrow it down do what would be carried by a pole that could be knocked down in a car accident. But I've seen some pretty tall aluminum poles near roadways, carrying distribution lines that are certainly up near the 23k you mentioned.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–

'typical' residential distribution -- with a 'can' transformer per residence is going to be in the more-or-less 1.2-4 KV range.
Feeds -to- a sub-station -- one that feeds the residential distribution -- tend to be in the 15-35kv range.
Metro distribution is usually in the 75-141kv range.
Long haul primaries -- e.g., 'the grid' -- are in the 141kv and up range. circa 25 years ago, I knew of a _few_ places that were as high as 600+ kv.
The breakdown voltage across an air gap -- what it takes to make a spark _initially_ jump -- is in the range of 20-75kv/inch. "Clean, _dry_, air ns at the high end of that range; "damp, dirty, polluted" stuff can be well below the low end.
Insulation stand-offs tend to be 1" per 'few' KV
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mar 3, 5:30 pm, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

That would all be pretty much spot on, sir. You have to go a ways to be needing corona inhibitors.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Robatoy" wrote

that'll be left would be your boots. Dusty boots... likely just footprints. The 4-part biggies go to 500KV and can carry upward of a gigawatt. ==================== Years ago I was reading about survivors of lightening stikes and industrial electrical accidents. Talk about an extreme experience! One guy was inside a big electrical relay room when they turned the power on. Some of these folks changed their personality. Most were very grateful to be alive.
But the most interesting factoid was that some of them, no way to determine a percentage, actually grew a third set of teeth. Think about the impications for dental health! It would be hard to find research volunteers though.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Some scientists speculate that a lightning strike hit the primordial soup and it sprang to life.... over time...more so for some than others....nebber mind.. BRAINSSSS
Add pictures here
βœ–

Some scientists speculate that a lightning strike hit the primordial soup and it sprang to life.... over time...more so for some than others....nebber mind.. BRAINSSSS
Throughout the entire thread I've had the picture in my mind of the minister in Caddyshack golfing in the thunderstorm.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 3/3/2010 4:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Something to mull over on a quiet evening...
What do you suppose the odds are of a lightning strike producing a single single DNA (the basis for everything we recognize as being "alive") molecule from some random glob of "soup"?
:)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On 3/4/10 12:19 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

Greater than the chance of having the surface of the earth covered with identical 1sq.cm tiles, with one of the tiles having a mark on the bottom, and tossing a stone in the air at any random location and having it land on the marked tile.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–

That would BE phenomenal odds, but odds nonetheless. And to plot that on a timeline of infinite length, that marked tile would get hit eventually.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 3/4/10 12:53 PM, Robatoy wrote:

But that's the point of the illustration, you don't get to do it over. You get one chance and those are the odds.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–

BOOGER!!! Just ONE??? But lightning hits continuously all over the planet. Not just one shot. Besides, just to get this out of the way, I believe in Creationism, with a healthy dose of evolution (Adaption?) tossed in to keep us on our toes.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Robatoy" wrote
BOOGER!!! Just ONE??? But lightning hits continuously all over the planet. Not just one shot. Besides, just to get this out of the way, I believe in Creationism, with a healthy dose of evolution (Adaption?) tossed in to keep us on our toes. ================= Creationism, eh??
You make a lousy liberal.
Add pictures here
βœ–

God would have no trouble creating 1 billion-year-old rocks, would He?
Add pictures here
βœ–

WTF started this shit about my being a liberal?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 3/4/2010 1:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

It would seem reasonable to allow for multiple lightening strikes - but not on an infinite time line. Planetary conditions would have had to reach a point where the molecule could persist long enough to replicate (since that's much of the "point" of a DNA molecule), which would establish the beginning of the time line - and the strike would have to occur before those conditions were no longer present.
To make the problem even hairier, the resulting molecule, composed of the ACGT building blocks would be a dead end if the blocks weren't arranged in whatever constitutes a "workable" sequence and if the molecule contained any destabilizing components (like, for example, zinc).
I wasn't asking a rhetorical question - just suggesting that Rob's comment might lead to some interesting (if not necessarily productive) quiet contemplation...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Yabbut, how many darkening strikes would it take, hmmm?
-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943
Add pictures here
βœ–

The odds are phenomenally huge, but in this universe, what isn't? And rather than a strong lightning strike, maybe just a wandering electrostatic sizzle could have randomly arranged a billion DNA wigglies that eventually mutated into woodworkers as we know them? Well.. it COULD have happened..... <G> Maybe when they turn the LHC up to Volume 11 it could set off a chain reaction that would grow into an alien.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Given a long enough period of time, pretty high, I should say. Lightning strikes the earth approximately 300 million times a year, and the planet is believed to be some five or six billion years old. Assuming the current rate is representative, that works out in the neighborhood of 1.5 x 10^17 lightning strikes since the planet was formed. With that many opportunities, the probability that even a one in a million billion event will occur *sometime* is, for all practical purposes, certainty.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 12:19:50 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey

Or not.

Gazillions to one, minimum. That much juice fries/explodes anything it touches, including _stone_.
Life globules come from something a wee bit more subtle, I gar-on-tee.
-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943
Add pictures here
βœ–
Robatoy wrote:

Try 2000 to 4000 volts: <http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=2&mscssid=WUVAX8K46M459H3EK4M41E26DQQPF2V0&pf_id 212>
Reading the instructions for one of the units, they have a device you can buy that will send an alert when voltage drops BELOW 4000 volts. Very low current, so it's not dangerous, just extremely painful.

Rob Leatham
βœ–