Off Topic: Darwin Award

Page 1 of 3
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gbpeNSDizW1J3cJDz2LHNKWxOveQD9E62II80
On 3/1/2010 6:00 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gbpeNSDizW1J3cJDz2LHNKWxOveQD9E62II80
Downright shocking ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

maybe even electrifying...
"Swingman" wrote

Every farmboy has pissed on an electric fence.
This takes it to a whole new level.
Lee Michaels wrote:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gbpeNSDizW1J3cJDz2LHNKWxOveQD9E62II80--------------------------------------Just goes to show ya, don't piss in the ditch.Lew
On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:45:20 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gbpeNSDizW1J3cJDz2LHNKWxOveQD9E62II80--------------------------------------Just goes to show ya, don't piss in the ditch.Lew
"The answer my friend, ain't pissin' in the wind. The answer is pissin' in the sink."
--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

The stream needs to be continuous. Mythbusters went there.
scrawled the following:

The stream needs to be continuous. Mythbusters went there.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So, more than a six pack ...

I thought mythbusters totally disproved it?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

That was one that they proved. If you have a solid stream of liquid to act as a conductor, electricity can follow it. They had quite a bit of trouble getting a solid stream, but suceeded in the end.
Puckdropper

On 3/3/2010 6:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

A couple of pints of Scotland's finest beer will do it ... two pint input, two gallon output.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Drink till midnight, piss till dawn!
"LDosser" wrote:

The motto of the Pistol Club.
Lew
On Mar 3, 7:23am, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

2000yqn.googlegroups.com:
No pun intended?

Nope, didn't even realize there might have been something in there taken as a pun.
Puckdropper

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 05:48:16 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

in
Um, _what_ pun, Toy? "In the end"?
It really isn't funny. (wrong end)
-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943
On 3/3/10 6:23 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Really? We're using mythbusters as our final word on science?
Love the show, but they *hardly* hold to scientific method and occasionally get it right.
In this particular case, if the voltage/current is high enough, you don't need a "continuous stream." The electricity can arc from drop to drop to drop.
--

-MIKE-

The voltage would have to be one heckuva lot higher than the 600 volts typically found on a third rail, which is what Mythbusters was trying to establish. For a charge to jump from one drop to the next, to the next the voltage would have to be a lot higher, such as an electric fence.
Other than that, Mythbusters is a 'reality' show with a twist. They like blowing shit up to get ratings. One is supposed to suspend any belief in scientific methods.
Why so serious?
On 3/3/10 12:55 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Not serious, just blabbin.
I don't think they ever got anywhere near 600 volts on the show. I don't know the exact numbers, since I'm only recalling what my buddy told me (electrical engineer for AEP), but lines that would fall from a pole near a highway or roadway could be 1000+ volts, and certainly very high current.
--

-MIKE-

Quite often as high as 23,000 volts. Pee on one of those, and all that'll be left would be your boots. Dusty boots... likely just footprints. The 4-part biggies go to 500KV and can carry upward of a gigawatt.