Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.et says...

FWIW, don't waste your money on canned air. One of these things does as good a job <(Amazon.com product link shortened)- Large/dp/B00017LSPI> and never gets empty. I got it to blow the dust off the sensor in my camera but it works fine on computers too.

I use a blowgun on my compressor, too. I have a little pancake that I use for small house projects with the nailguns, etc. 30 psi is good. Canned air freezes things sometimes, and I'm not sure that's good.
Steve
Lee Michaels wrote:

I think the can of compressed air is the standard solution, but I'm allergic to it. I paid about $43 for a hand held 110v substitute which works very well, but it louder than a hair dryer. I'm quite delighted with the electric solution. I will find a link if anyone is interested in the product.
Bill
Bill wrote:

Here's the item. It seems to have a lot of satisfied customers:
It comes with the attachment set, so don't order it separately. It doesn't seem like office workers could complain too much about something so non-obtrusive looking that only took 30 seconds.
On 4/3/2012 1:19 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Take the computer to the compressor.

Use an "air pig" or a bottle of nitrogen from your local liquid air/welding supply
"Lee Michaels" wrote

I have one of these for use in the shop. http://www.senco.com/CompressorDetails.aspx?k=PC1010
I find it handy to use for several blow...............uh.........purposes. For use on a computer I set the regulator at 35-40 PSI. And I use this blow gun:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/H8229/images/
Max
On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 14:19:28 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

Since I live in an apartment, quietness was my top priority. Not wanting to spend an exorbitant amount of money on something exotic like a compressor that might be used by a dentist, I had a look at a Samona (Rok) 10925, a Rolair JC10, a Senco PC1010. I also looked at a Bostitch CAP1512 on a friend's recommendation, but it was too loud for my tastes.
They are all fairly quiet compressors in the order presented. I finally settled on the Senco PC1010 because it was the smallest and the lightest (20 lbs.) The rest were at least twice that weight. I wanted/needed a compressor for filling tires and for two nail guns that I have. The heaviest nail gun is a Porter Cable 15g gun. You would NOT use this compressor for a framing gun.
For your purposes, I'm guessing the Senco would work, but if I were you, I'd just use a can of compressed air. If you think that you'd be using too many cans of compressed air and it would be too costly, then you might consider buying one of the refillable tanks of compressed air such as the one in the link below.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Tanks like these can also be found at Paintball stores.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Just my suggestions - been a while since I worked on systems but....
Multiple monitors and heavy apps shouldn't effect the power supply to much since it will still only draw what it is built to draw. Being underpowered (as I recall ) will not damage the system but will cause malfunctioning from components not getting enough power.
I think the key here is the clogged power supply. If it can't cool itself then it will be toast pretty fast. Just the same with all other components - the heat is going to be the biggest problem. All the components produce heat a layer of dust is like a blanket to help hold it in.
I think cleaning every 6 to 12 months should be fine. Hard apps and more monitors do not mean more dust sucking up into the computer. I don't know how your computers are placed but on the floor are a bad idea they will collect dust much faster. Better to have them in a cabinet.
Are the office staff normally allowed to open the computers up?
--

Michael Joel

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes,
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message
snip

Taking the PC box to a compressor takes care of the noise /dust in a office issue.
A portable air storage tank($20) takes care of the noise in a office issue and avoids needing extra lengths of hose when used around the house.....if you don't have a compressor to fill it, borrow some air from a friend who does. For little jobs it is also easier to carry around than even most small compressors
When using a compressor or tank to clean your PC make sure you hold the fan blades still so you don't spin out the bearings....usually a screw driver works fine.
Rod
Rod & BJ Jacobson wrote:

To each his own, but that sound like a strangle place to put a screwdriver. How about just holding them with your finger (s)?

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 14:24:41 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

A soft plastic wand (for the princesses) or wooden popsicle stick would be a lot safer around electronics, boys and girls.
-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud
On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 16:05:42 -0700, Larry Jaques

Except you are doing this with the power DISCONNECTED. And HOPEFULLY before strting to blow the air. Sticking a screwdriver into a rapidly spinning PC fan WILL remove blades.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Not only that, I ground myself before sticking my hands in the case!

Which you can't do if the comp is unplugged and in the shop. Compressed air creates all -sorts- of static electricity.
-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud
On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 09:49:39 -0700, Larry Jaques

Sure you can. Just take a power cord and snip of the right leg of the plug (held ground up, legs facing you) and plug the computer in. It is all grounded, with no power. You touch the case with one hand, and hold the nozzle in the other and there is no static issue.

If it is spinning from compressed air and you even TOUCH the tip with a screwdriver, the fan is HISTORY. Running as designed they are hardly "rapidly spinning". - but I've seen them shatter even under their own power when someone who will remain nameless stuck a screwdriver in to stop the fan to see if it was the PS fan that was noisy.
On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 20:18:32 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

A small metal screwdriver tip could take out a thin trace on a mobo in a split second. It could also scrap off a SM cap or resistor in a heartbeat.
And speaking of non-metallic screwdrivers, who has used a Gecko G540 drive before? What driver do you use to get down to those buried screws they use for motor optimization? I think they're trimpots. http://www.geckodrive.com/g540-digital-axis-motor-control-p-39.html
-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud
On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 21:54:33 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

If I can find the right size shrink, I'll cover a tiny steel driver I already have, I guess. Thanks for the tip.
-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

You are going to get your finger into the powersupply enough to stop the fan? You must have pretty skinny fingers, or extremely long nails.