Off Topic: Clark Little Photographs

I came across these today. Clark Little is a guy who takes his surfboard and/or fins out into the surf in Hawaii, with a camera. So he gets great photos from an inside the wave perspective. It is getting a lot of attention. Truly unique marine photography.

Lee Michaels

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:47:42 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels" scrawled the following:

page), and Red Dirt (last page).

How does that guy keep a dry LENS?!?

-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez

Reply to
Larry Jaques

He has special, custom made housings built for the cameras. You can go to youtube and search for Clark Little. There are some interviews where he gives details including cameras and special, waterproof housings.

President even bought one of his paintings to hang in the oval office. That makes sense as Obama goes to Hawaii a lot and knows the folks there. And Clark Little is local boy who made good. He was a surf bum for 30 years and took that knowldge to his photography. And it works. His photos are getting international acclaim.

In addition to swimming and surfing to get his photos, he will stand (or sit) on the beach and watch a big wave crash over him as he photographs it from the bottom. Somehow or another, he seems healthy and fit. I would die if I tried a stunt like that.

The detail, colors, textures, etc of a monsterous, moving wall of water is incredible from his perspective. Very few of us would ever actually get to see this. I guess that is what makes him so unique. He is showing us something that we would never normally see.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Rainex

Reply to
CW

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 22:30:33 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels" scrawled the following:

Yabbut, how do you keep the lens (housing lens area) dry up until the point you take the pic? Maybe he sillycones the plastic.

"Lost" is a good example of where NOT to be when a wall of water hits the sand. It drives you right into it and holds you down while churning all around you. I would NOT like to have been Clark in that case.

I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess. I grew up near the beach in LoCal and body surfed in Hawaii several times. Sandy Beach on Oahu is scary as hell! The break is on a steep beach so it's like "Lost". There was a black sand beach (ground pumice) which was the same way. The rip was short, but it sucked you right back into the whompers. You ride it in and dig your hands into the pumice to hold on long enough to get out, or curl up and flip your legs forward in the middle of the ride so it sets you down on your feet. I had forgotten about that beach until this discussion. I had scrapes on my knees, elbows, and both shoulders after that one, but 13 y/o boys heal quickly.

-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez

Reply to
Larry Jaques

s Victor Cherbuliez

How does he get the series of shots off fast enough to do the HDR's? There's no way that's natural colour.

Reply to
Robatoy

How does he get the series of shots off fast enough to do the HDR's? There's no way that's natural colour.

While the pics have the saturation of a typical HDR picture I really don't think that they are HDR. Way too much movement for that. Typical photo enhancement programs will give more color saturation and contrast, I suspect that is what he used along with taking probably thousands more that were tossed. Have you ever watched CSI Miami on TV, their whole show has that HDR look, color saturation is cranked way up especially during the opening of the show.

Reply to
Leon

Hie camera shoots 9 frames per second. He obviously shoots far more photos than he uses.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

At 9 fps it could be HDR. HDR software nowadays can account for some motion.. but a bezillion waterdrops? Dunno. Maybe Leon is right, just a load of saturation. They _are_ doing HDR in video now, ie music vids etc. I shot some HDR stuff way back...went hard-over backwards to greyscale again. After watching a PBS special on Karsch, I am going back there again, although this time digitally. I sold all my darkroom gear long ago. All I have left is a bundle of 4 x 5 plate/tank holders. That was some very fine therapy... to go hide in the darkroom for hours and hours and come out all relaxed.

Reply to
Robatoy

CSI Miami? YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAIIIIIIIII. That show turned my youngest daughter into a Who fan. Personally? I find it entertaining when I suspend disbelief.

Reply to
Robatoy

Leon may have it right or it it might be "pseudo-HDR." Photomatix Pro has a function that allows processing of a single RAW file. I use it frequently. Under the 'Automate' menu is BATCH SINGLE FILE. After which you can turn the intensity up or down to get the look you like.

Reply to
Dave In Texas

Found it. Thanks for that.

Reply to
Robatoy

You don't believe they spend $250K to investigate the death of some homeless bum? And that DNS analysis takes 15 minutes? And that they can do computer simulations in realtime?

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

I like to watch the first five minutes of that show. In high definition it's incredible. The rest is kind of meh, but the guy who shoots those opening cityscapes has an superb eye.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You mean they don't REALLY work in stripjoint/lounge lighting either?

Reply to
Robatoy

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 05:23:48 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

His camera shoots at 9FPS to high-speed compact flash memory. Here's a review of the D-3 :

(I love my D-40, though.)

Whassa "HDR"?

You might be surprised. I've been a water baby since I was 2 and have seen all sorts of water colors in streams, creeks, rivers, pools, and oceans. Silt brings lots of brownish hues to the water. Hawaii has lots of different corals reflecting their coloration into the water, too. It had the widest array of water colors I've ever seen. I've visited there 3 times now. The ocean there is tepid, about 85F. VERY different from the frigid Left Coast waters, and a nice change.

Then again, he might enhance the color with Photoshop. Most photographers are purists, though, and wouldn't do that on a bet. Ask him if he does that...if you dare. ;)

-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez

Reply to
Larry Jaques

High Dynamic Range

This normally requires bracketing photography, taking 3 or more pictures with a normal exposure, an over exposed picture, and an equally under exposed picture. Then they are all lumped toghether to give the picture a best of all worlds look. Typically it reduces shadows and over exposures and tends to make the picture look focused regardless of how far distant objects appear. Then a photo programs tends to up the saturation and or contrast and you get what typically looks like IMHO a camera perfect painting. Norman Rockwell'ish?

Reply to
Leon

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:31:38 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

The D-3 (and my D-40) will bracket, no problem.

Oh, like some of the astronomy software uses. Got it.

Only the cheap ones, or perhaps purpose-built software for a section of photography which tends to be washed out by default. Others leave that well enough alone, TYVM.

-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No, actually that is the look that the process is going for, so to speak... It all depends on the subject. I have down loaded a lot fo pictures by Mike Savid from Photosig.com . A lof of his pictures make modern day look old timey. Pretty cool.

Reply to
Leon

Larry, I think he uses a Shamwow to wipe the lens!!!

Reply to
GeneT