Off Topic: 50 Strange Buildings of the World

It makes you wonder what these folks were thinking of when they built these structures. I like most of them and am pleased that there are enough mavericks in the world to create these one of a kind structures. But some of them are too weird even for me.
Part 1
http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-buildings-of-the-world /
Part 2
http://villageofjoy.com/50-strange-buildings-of-the-world-part-ii /
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 03:54:38 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

How could they not include the Sydney Opera House?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

I guess that it wasn't unusual enough.
When I tried to send the site address to friends, AVAST detected a virus. Anyone else have that problem?
W.
Lee Michaels wrote:

No problem here.
I copied the addy directly from the website.

No. I'm on a Mac.

They missed the new Taubman Museum in downtown Roanoke, VA too. Talk about out of place. I think two out of three Roanokers don't know whether to shoot the architect or themselves after looking at it.
Kind of rough stuff for a guy who is still have trouble getting used to Queen Anee Victorians.
I did like that Indian houseboat, though.

Thanks for those. There are the creative ones and then there are the 'trying-to-be-different' ones; those usually fail... and then there are the plug-ugly ones. All were interesting.
"Robatoy" wrote
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Thanks for those. There are the creative ones and then there are the 'trying-to-be-different' ones; those usually fail... and then there are the plug-ugly ones. All were interesting. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I appreciate it when anybody builds something outside of the box.

I thought most were brilliant. It's nice to see the art having such free expression.
You want to see expression, check out Dubai. If I were a young architect, I would move there, now.
--

-MIKE-

The one that I liked was 43. National Theatre (Beijing, China) in part ii. Generally, I don't like artsy fartsy buildings. I know I'd hate to have to run a new phone line, cable line, or repair about anything in most of those clap traps. Not that I don't appreciate the work and artiness off the owners/builders/architects but I'm far happier looking at it than having to build or live in any of it.
--
Jack
Lee Michaels wrote:

The one in North Korea has never been completed. It was apparently to be a monument to the first dictator. However, it has never been finished and is not expected to ever be habitable. The estimated cost to finish it would be 10% of North Korea's GDP.

There was one from Russia with an interesting typo - the Wooden Gagster House. They really meant the Wooden Gangster House, as it was built by a notorious gangster, but gagster is also fitting.
The NeverWas Haul is listed as Berkley, CA, but the picture was taken at Burning Man in the Nevada desert.
The Gehry's Stata Center at MIT is the subject of a $300 million lawsuit. http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/11/06/mit_sues_gehry_citing_leaks_in_300m_complex /

Heh, heh. I didn't need any more reasons not to go to Pigeon Forge, but that structure gave me one.

Heh, heh. I didn't need any more reasons not to go to Pigeon Forge, but that structure gave me one.
You mean pancake houses, go kart tracks, 5 for $2 t-shirt shops and "as seen on TV" stores aren't enough of a draw for you??? what kind of person *are* you??? :-)
jc