Off Topic: 50 Strange Buildings of the World

It makes you wonder what these folks were thinking of when they built these structures. I like most of them and am pleased that there are enough mavericks in the world to create these one of a kind structures. But some of them are too weird even for me.

Part 1

2

Lee Michaels

LRod

I guess that it wasn't unusual enough.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

When I tried to send the site address to friends, AVAST detected a virus. Anyone else have that problem?

W.

Lee Michaels wrote:

Reply to
Walter

No problem here.

I copied the addy directly from the website.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

No. I'm on a Mac.

Reply to
Robatoy

'trying-to-be-different' ones; those usually fail... and then there are the plug-ugly ones. All were interesting.

Reply to
Robatoy

'trying-to-be-different' ones; those usually fail... and then there are the plug-ugly ones. All were interesting. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I appreciate it when anybody builds something outside of the box.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I thought most were brilliant. It's nice to see the art having such free expression.

You want to see expression, check out Dubai. If I were a young architect, I would move there, now.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The one in North Korea has never been completed. It was apparently to be a monument to the first dictator. However, it has never been finished and is not expected to ever be habitable. The estimated cost to finish it would be 10% of North Korea's GDP.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

There was one from Russia with an interesting typo - the Wooden Gagster House. They really meant the Wooden Gangster House, as it was built by a notorious gangster, but gagster is also fitting.

The NeverWas Haul is listed as Berkley, CA, but the picture was taken at Burning Man in the Nevada desert.

The Gehry's Stata Center at MIT is the subject of a $300 million lawsuit.

RicodJour

The one that I liked was 43. National Theatre (Beijing, China) in part ii. Generally, I don't like artsy fartsy buildings. I know I'd hate to have to run a new phone line, cable line, or repair about anything in most of those clap traps. Not that I don't appreciate the work and artiness off the owners/builders/architects but I'm far happier looking at it than having to build or live in any of it.

Reply to
Jack Stein

but that structure gave me one.

Reply to
Charlie Self

They missed the new Taubman Museum in downtown Roanoke, VA too. Talk about out of place. I think two out of three Roanokers don't know whether to shoot the architect or themselves after looking at it.

Kind of rough stuff for a guy who is still have trouble getting used to Queen Anee Victorians.

I did like that Indian houseboat, though.

Reply to
Charlie Self

but that structure gave me one.

You mean pancake houses, go kart tracks, 5 for $2 t-shirt shops and "as seen on TV" stores aren't enough of a draw for you??? what kind of person *are* you??? :-)

jc

Reply to
Joe