Off-center router base

Page 1 of 3
I fought with trying to get my router base centered up with the bushing/bit on my last project. I inserted a bushing in the plunge router base only to figure out that the bit was so far off that it wouldn't even go thru the bushing. I finally abandoned the plunge base and used the fixed base but still had to drill new holes for the phenolic base to get it centered.
In the end it was an enormous waste of time. What's the solution? Are there brands that are better than others? Do any have slotted holes to allow for adjustment? Any replacement hardware available?
I know I can't be the only person to fight this battle. Any words of wisdom?
Larry
Larry wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. I've never had a problem with the 2-3 brands I've owned...your is...?

A. Make a base, drill a hole the proper size for the bushing holder, put a bushing in the holder, put a bit for the bushing in router, center bit in bushing, attach base to router.
- OR -
B. Enlarge the attachment holes in the base you now have so you can wiggle the base to center bit.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

The holes are for countersink heads. I don't think there's enough material left to do this. Really needs panhead screws.
Larry wrote:

I made my own base plate. After mounting the base to the router I used a "V" bit chucked the the router to find the exact center of the base. I then used two different sized fostner bit to very carefully create a stepped hole of the correct size to allow mounting my bushings.
I works great.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

What Jack said. Works great for me. I make my bases all square, from Corian scraps. (Square ones ride much nicer along fences, averaging out any small aberrations the fence might have.)
Robatoy wrote:

That also removes the chance for any centering inaccuracy in a round base. The factory base on my PC wasn't round, nor centered.
A square base means you stay the same distance from edge to center and there is to chance of rotating the router.
--

-MIKE-

Robatoy wrote:

My bases are all rectangular, all made to exactly the same even inch size and all with the exact distance from each edge to the center of the bit. This was done for using a fence with standard offsets.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

This seems to be my best option. What material did you use?
On 11/26/2009 09:40 AM, Larry wrote:

Mine allows for the use of pan head screws in slightly oversize counterbored holes for fine centering, although it's pretty close to start.
Chis

What brand of router?
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 15:40:41 +0000, Larry wrote:

My DeWalt uses pan head screws in slightly oversize holes and includes a centering cone. Works for me.

My PC690 has several annoyances that the DW618 seems to address. I'll have to take a closer look at one next time I'm at the BORG.
Given the popularity of the PC690 there seems to be an opportunity for an enterprising person to build an aftermarket base. Not really any different than a lift but much simpler. Both address the same problems...

You mean like Pat Warner?
http://www.patwarner.com/precision_subbase_kit.html

Yea, just like that except the whole base. Drop your motor in and you're ready to go.
On the subject of making your own base.....
I had the idea of using an adjustable hole cutter to help cut a perfect radius around the center. This kind... <
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31b3OpacTNL._SS400_.jpg
Cut your base over-sized by a small amount. Mount the base on the router, use a plunge bit to cut a 1/2-3/4" hole. Mount the hole saw in the router. Do NOT power up. :-) Spin hole saw by hand or mount the pilot bit (yes, the business end) in a cordless drill and drill slowly, while slowly turning the router's plunge depth knob. Either cut all the way through the thickness of the base with the hole cutter, or cut down just enough to have room for a guide bearing. Take base off router. Mount router in table with a pattern bit. Finish cut on base with pattern bit.
--

-MIKE-

*shuddering in fear* . . . . those are NOT cool.
Robatoy wrote:

Did you read the rest of my post or stop there?
--

-MIKE-

Yes, I read the rest of your post. That doesn't make that tool any cooler.
Robatoy wrote:

What does cool have to do with it. :-)
I still think it would work for someone who wanted a dead-centered round base. It's not a production thing, it's a one-off deal.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- said:

It's certainly not an eloquent tool, but I have one. Used very slowly with the stock utterly clamped solid and a controlled feed rate, it'll do the job. But it is a tool more suited to drilling holes in spun cellulose dropped ceiling tiles. :)
Greg G.