Odd sized plywood at HD

Page 1 of 2
I stopped by Home Depot today. I rarely shop there so don't know what they normally stock. I noticed a palette of 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood marked for $18.95 a sheet. The sign said "New size 5' x 5'". Yep, it was just plain weird looking. It was perfect for how much I needed but one problem - it wouldn't fit in my Van in any direction. So I bought a 4x8 and had them cut it at the 5' mark.
Bob
Bob Davis wrote:

New to Home Depot.
5' X 5' baltic birch is normal and has been for years.
UA100
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 06:37:26 GMT, "Bob Davis"

"Real" baltic birch ply comes in 5x5's.
This is why my haulers are a 5x10' box trailer, and an open trailer. <G>
Barry
Baltic Birch comes in 5'x5' sheets everywhere. What you probably bought is Birch plywood. I'm a little surprised HD even had Baltic Birch. The one near me has very little selection in plywood and hardwood. The closest they come to a cabinet grade particle board is floor underlayment.
Woodchip

Like I said, I don't get out in the world very often. This is the first time I've seen this size in my area. It seems to me Home Depot just did a major re-stocking. I can remember looking for 1/2" plywood there before and never finding it. Yesterday, they had plenty in all sizes in both red oak ply and BB ply. Lowe's better hussle. Their wood choices for projects is nowhere near as large as Home Depot.
Bob

they
for
plain
it
cut
I have never seen true BB at a Lowes. Only "birch" ply. Sure would be happy if they started carrying it! How many plies is it?

marked
problem -

them
I agree. I stopped in HD and found some 3/4" MDF in a 2' x 4' sheet, just what the doctor ordered since all I wanted was enough to do a couple of jigs. SO that got me to looking around and noticing their selection is somewhat more diverse than Lowes.
I usually buy my BB from a small shop in town called Gates Plywood. He told me that BB comes in the 5' x 5' size. Have two sheets of 1/2" in the garage now just dying to turn into something......
Nailbender

what
The stuff I got is 1/2" 7 ply.
Bob

what
bummer. it should be 9 ply...
dave
Bob Davis wrote:

Do you count the little thin veneers on the outside as plys? If so, its 9.
Bob

To be clear I purchased this at HD, not Lowes. I also double checked. The stuff I bought does not say Baltic Birch - had it confused with something else I saw. What I bought says "1/2" classic birch".
Bob

what
be aware that it isn't likely to 1/2" either, Bob.
It's probably 12 MM...
dave
Bob Davis wrote:

No, its 1/2". The sign said 1/2". The bar code label says 1/2" and the vernier caliper measures it at 1/2".

marked

If anyone goes to buy this stuff, look it over closley, much of is warped, curled, bowed etc., not quite the quality of "baltic burch" I'm used to. If you pick through the stack you may find a straight piece.
-- "Shut up and keep diggen" Jerry
The stack I picked from was impressively straight with no evidence of curling or warping. In fact it was so good, I took the piece off the top, something I almost never do.
Bob

If
OOPS... What kind'a tree is a "burch"..?? ;-(
-- "Shut up and keep diggen" Jerry

If

IT's a favorite foR building privvies.
There's even a group dedicated to encouraging construction of those facilities, using it as the sole construction material.
What?? You've never heard of the "John Burch (Society"", using it as the sole construction material.
What?? You've never heard of the "John Burch (Society"", using it as the sole construction material.
What?? You've never heard of the "John Burch (Society"", using it as the sole construction material.
What?? You've never heard of the "John Burch (Society"", using it as the sole construction material.
What?? You've never heard of the "John Burch (Society"", using it as the sole construction material.
What?? You've never heard of the "John Burch (Society"", using it as the sole construction material.
What?? You've never heard of the "John Burch (Society"", using it as the sole construction material.
What?? You've never heard of the "John Burch (Society"", using it as the sole construction material.
What?? You've never heard of the "John Burch Society"?
That would be the Birch John Society.
A Burch is the tough side of a lesbian Betula pair.
wrote:

facilities,

Nit pick -- that's the people that promote the 'facilities'; those that promote the _material_ as ideal for the construction thereof are the group that I mentioned.

BAD's right. The Baltic Birch / Finnish Birch stuff has more plys and is "metric" size (thickness, width and length). Also nice quality - void free. A funny little stamp, with "furr'en" letters in the corner.
Pop over to the ShopNotes web site and examine any one of their projects - you'll see the edge that you can get with BB.
Still sounds like what you found is pretty useful. I was surprised to see 1/2" MDF, for the first time at HD last month. Can finally start making some of those DJM Templates out of 1/2" instead of 3/4" MDF.
Maybe, if we all asked nicely, Corporate HD would agree to stock BB?