odd piece of pine lumber

I put up some pictures of an odd piece of pine, suggestions for use? This piece needs to be immortalized.
http://www.welshpembrokecorgis.com/oddity.html
basilisk
Add pictures here
✖
basilisk wrote:

That is very cool. How long is it. If it's 4' or so, it could be steam bend it into a drum shell.
--

-MIKE-

✖

It is 1 5/8" x 5 3/4" x 8', I'm leaning toward resawing it into 1" and making a small chest out of it, or possibly gluing some of it up for a bowl, should be able to make a couple of small things if I plan my cuts well.
I would be afraid to try and bend it, might make a square drum out of it.
basilisk
Add pictures here
✖

exotic cat.
I don't know what the translate into in terms of a project with this wood. Maybe a small box with a cat pattern routed or burned into the top?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 29, 12:56 pm, "Lee Michaels"

WOW!
I agree a leopard or cheetah immediately came to mind.
Just leave where you can see it and one day the ideal project will come to you you lucky son of a gun.
Add pictures here
✖
put up some pictures of an odd

WOW!
I like the idea of a carved leopard, it is just fits and I can't think of anything more appropriate, someone else would have to do the carving though, it would end up as stove wood with my talent for carving.
basilisk
Add pictures here
✖

Assuming you could re-saw it a few times, or even thin enough for veneer... I was envisioning a round (or polygon) table top with pie-piece shaped section of that wood.
--

-MIKE-

✖

all four sides, but it is not as nice looking on the "back", it will be interesting to open it up and see what lays inside. I can rub and pick at the figure and get particles to come loose, for that reason I don't think it could be taken to veneer thickness.
I'm going to be patient with the piece and let it rest in a controlled environment for a few months, before splitting it. About ten inches of one end has very little figure and it may be wise to cut it off and test resaw it and see if there is any tension that is going to severely warp the pieces.
basilisk
Add pictures here
✖

I'd take a cat like that. It would be number 6.
Add pictures here
✖

WOW! The older members of this group will let you know I worked probably 90% of my woodworking in pine. That really is a unique piece. It would make a beautiful jewelry box. I can see it with finger joints and concealed hinges. Since it it 1-5/8" thick - have you considered resawing and doubling your stock? Hang on to it or send it to me! I love pineywood! LOL! Jimmy Mac (aka Jums, Minwax Mac, etc. etc.)
Add pictures here
✖
Jimmy Mac wrote:

Hey, nothing wrong with liking pine, a craftsman that can work pine can excel in any material.
I've used a lot of pine and will continue to do so, the wonderful people I work for allow me just about anything I want and pine lumber is at the top of my list.
basilisk
Add pictures here
✖
basilisk wrote:

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Add pictures here
✖
basilisk wrote:

Have you considered contacting state/university forestry scientists to see if they're interested in studying it?
Add pictures here
✖
Mike Paulsen wrote:

I am going to post this over at alt.forestry there are a lot of knowledgable people there, Auburn is the local forestry university and I am reluctant hand it over to them, I might not get it back.
I know, selfish of me.
basilisk
Add pictures here
✖
Into Picture frames with UV glass. Martin
basilisk wrote:

Add pictures here
✖