Odd; Festool price display policy at Woodcraft- Baltimore

Page 1 of 4
Hey All, I stopped in my local (Baltimore) Woodcraft today and noticed that all of the Festool items had their price obliterated. When I asked if this was in anticipation of the March 1 price increase the sales dude told me no, it was a Festool policy not to display their prices. He related to me that there was one Festool vendor that had its "license" to sell Festool revoked because they displayed prices. He was not sure if that was another Woodcraft or a more independent vendor. The new Festool catalogue is also devoid of prices. This makes sense since they won't have "out of date" catalogues when they raise prices again but if the vendors can't display prices on the floor it will require potential customers to interact with the store staff (which may or may not be a desireable task). I do not know if this is national policy or if it is just limited to Woodfcraft, or if it is just the Woodcrafts owned by the local franchiser, but it seems counter productive to me. It disrupts my eagerness to buy stuff if I have to ask prices each time I contemplate buying something. I really doubt this is a nationwwide policy but maybe it is Festool's version of buying a yacht; If you have to ask how much it is, you really can't afford it. On a slightly different note I'm not that excited about the Rotex 90. Unless you really need a small diameter sander the larger Festools appear to have better balance. I have a Rotex 150 and it is very easy to keep the pad flat when only holding the barrel . The 90 feels barrel heavy and I think you'd need to hold down on the head as well as the barrel. Still, maybe some day I will "need" that 3+ inch diameter pad for sanding something. If you are a Festool junkie I think you'll also be happy seeing the new catalogue. There are a couple new battery jigsaws and some new battery drills including an 18 volt. That's got to be an expensive drill based on their other models. Not much else to dwell on so I'll head back down to my shop. Hope you all have a productive - and safe - weekend in your shop too. Marc
I walk out of stores that don't display prices. Whether it's wood, tools, or beer... I will not buy from a place that doesn't have prices near or on the merch.
--

-MIKE-

About prices... a buddy of mine has a standard saying: "If you've got to ask...fukkum."

--------- Yep, there are a lot of websites out there that offer all kinds of information EXCEPT prices. I leave them immediately. I spend enormous amount of time on the web, both at work and at home. I don't have time to talk to shiny shoed salesman.
Same with all those sites who want me to "register". If I have to register to find out about your product or service, you must be selling crap. Or be a crook.
Honest people who offer good products and service don't have to conduct themselves like con men.
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote

The only time no price is acceptable is when the manufacturer shows items that will vary considerably by retailer, generally low end items. Even major appliances show the "list" price so you have a starting point to talk to the local retailers.
As for Festool, I wonder if they think asking will start a dialog with the salesperson and eventually a sale. I've usually done my homework before hitting the store so I know if I want to even look at an item before I get there. With $100 in my pocket, no amount of interaction with a salesdude will get me to buy a $400 sander.
On Feb 26, 12:28am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Amen, bro'!
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

A lack of pricing is usually a bad sign if only because they want to make you go through their whole sales pitch so by the time you find out the price you're already hooked. Infomercials often use that approach.

Or they want to pester you with spam for the next year, or sell your address to seven other outfits that will spam you senseless.

Sadly so much of the public chooses to buy crap from crooks that that sometimes the good merchants have to play hardball just to keep the doors open, by which I mean they have to get slicker and more aggressive in their sales techniques (as opposed to selling crap or otherwise ripping off the customer).
-MIKE- wrote:

Yeah, most the used car dealers are like that around here. I feel the same way you do. One family of dealers won't even give you a price until they get your whole family medical history (slight exaggeration).
Bill
On 2/26/11 12:07 AM, Bill wrote:

I walked out on a car deal once, because after I had asked the guy for the total amount it would cost so I could call my bank and ask about payments, I came back and it was like $150 higher for administrative fees.
I told him, "First of all, that's called overhead and it comes out of your profit. Secondly, you had your chance to disclose that when I asked the first time. You now have the chance to remove it or loss the sale."
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Gosh maybe we're neighbors. I ran into that same $150 administrative fee twice (on my car and my wife's). I asked them point blank, "Are you trying to charge me for cashing my check?" Fee was waved both times. In the more interesting of the two cases, I was asked, "Do you want to speak to the manager about it?", I hesitated for a moment and then said yes, and she said, "Oh, he's out to lunch" and printed out a new bill of sale without batting an eye. Must be good commissions in that work...
Bill

When I lived in VT, I was very good friends with a GM of a Ford dealership. When I questioned their "documentation fee" he said it was a requirement of the state DMV that it must be the same for every sale. They can do whatever they want with the selling price (e.g. subtract the doc fee) but the doc fee *had* to be the same for all.

My transactions were in IN. I'll look at my paperwork later..it should be easy to find...lol.
Bill
Bill wrote:

In my case the "DOC/CRA Fee" --whatever that is, was changed from $150 to N/A. Just for the asking...
Bill
On 2/26/11 12:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

He was at best misleading you, at worse flat out lying, which he may have just been indoctrinated into from working there so long.
Most likely, the DMV had requirements regarding the tax & title fees. It costs $X for a car title, which the state DMV charges, not the dealer. The dealer is simply doing this for you as a service, probably because it makes things easier on their end. So the DMV doesn't want them charging $30 for a title that the consumer can go down to the DMV and get for $10. In other words, the state outlaws the dealer double-dipping or profiting on a state tax.
Titles fees are completely separate from the "doc fees" or "admin fees" that dealers trump up to pad their profit. If the DMV (state law) actually requires dealers to charge the same amount for "admin fees" to every customer, then the dealer has the choice to charge every customer $0 for admin fees.
--

-MIKE-

Nope.

Nothing to do with what the DMV charges.

They could, yes. They'd rather charge it, though. In VT they cannot add it indiscriminately. In for an ounce...
On 2/26/11 4:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

That's really my only point. They are blaming it on the DMV, which is BS in so many ways, but not really the point of this discussion. The point is, they are trying to BS the buyer into thinking they have no choice but to charge the doc fee.
--

-MIKE-

On 2/26/2011 4:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

I'd be _very_ surprised if the law actually refers to a dealer's "admin" fees outside of state-imposed fees as well.
As always, a reference to the applicable State Code section would clear up the confusion... :)

They do. States have all sorts of silly "consumer protection" nonsense.

Go for it.

I found at a Subaru dealer a really cool , black, 2008 WRX sti, second stage COBB, 70,000 km. I asked the price, which was well within my magic number, but I had to ask if he could a little better than that, cash deal and all that. He said he'd "waive the $450.00 admin fee." I asked him if that was already in the original number he had given me. He said no. I asked him if he could really sweeten the deal by taking off a $1000.00 admin fee that way...He didn't get my humour. I said bye.
Like those clowns who will try to get your business by offering 2 years no interest but want a 10% admin/registration fee.

Years ago, the local Ford dealer would make you sign a purchase agreement with the price you wanted to pay before he'd take it in to the manager. "You buy it first, then we talk money." That didn't last too long.