Odd Fastner

I am about to start building a couple of Great Wheel spinning wheels and need a rather odd fastner. This is something I know has to be out there somewhere, but I don't even know what to call it, which rules out a Google search.
What I am looking for is two surface mounted rings that have mating lugs so they can lock together. I am going to use them to attach a cover to the front of the wheel so the axle and bearing will not show.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Deb
Dr. Deb wrote:

The only practical approach I can think of is to use heavy duty sheet steel, double or triple layered if necessary. A hack saw, file, and a drill press might be handy--maybe even a metal cutting band saw. You could cut the threaded steel rod to suit the width. Would that get it done?
If I understand correctly:
Purchase a large, fine threaded nut and hacksaw it into thin rings. File and sand/polish round and smooth. Purchase mating lugs, as well.
I would think, for a spinning wheel, steel hardware isn't necessary. Purchase some appropriatly thick/thin brass & rod and thread the custom formed pieces. Threading brass should be easier than threading steel.
Sonny

Are you looking for something like a cabinet latch? http://tinyurl.com/9bzz8pc
Why not thread a cover to screw in?
-- Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of which they know nothing. --Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire, about 250 years ago
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

--------------------------------------------- "Tinnerman", a name I haven't heard in at least 30 years.
Most famous for the "speed nut", developed during WWII and was another Cleveland firm in the fastener business.
Lew
Dr. Deb wrote:

Bill came the closest to what I think I want. The problem with what Larry suggested is, there is the axle that I need to avoid any contact with as it would essentially lock the wheel. I had thought about threadig the axle, but realized that would not work.
I may just have to bite the bullet and form it. I do have a local machine shop that might be able to get them to make it for me.
Imagine a 3 1/2 inch circle 1/2 inch wide with lugs on the inside 1/2 inch long and raised just enough for the mating lug on the mating piece to slip under it. I am thinking on using 3 lugs, as two will not give the sability and any more than three is just more work.
Thanks
Deb

A washer between the cap and axle would space it out to leave a very small gap, preventing grab on the wheel hub. The cap could be turned and feathered down for a thin edge. This would be axle-mounted and the wheel would turn separately. For a mobile wheel, it might save weight, too, making it easier for the ladies to move.

CHA CHING!

That sounds like a heck of a lot of work and expense, Deb. OTOH, try to find someone who makes those by the gross. Oops, a light bulb just lit for me. How about a metal button? The base could mount on the hub and the cap would just snap on. You could adorn it with your company/model name, even! Think Badge-a-Minit, but larger. ;) http://tinyurl.com/9mz96pc
-- You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.' -- Charles A. Budreau
On 10/6/2012 8:08 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:

DAGS various combination of the terms "twist lock round cover plate" and take a look at the image results as you may find something that works.
Example:
https://www.google.com/search?q=round+locking+cover+plates&hl=en&rlz 1CHFX_enUS454US454&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2TFwUMKlEePU2AXnuYAw&ved AcQ_AUoAQ&biw#04&bih38#hl=en&rlz1CHFX_enUS454US454&biw#04&bih38&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=twist+lock+cover+plates&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fpa160344102ecc7
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/seachoice-twist-lock-deck-plate-white-with-clear-insert.aspx?aX2463
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

https://www.google.com/search?q=round+locking+cover+plates&hl=en&rlz 1CHFX_enUS454US454&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2TFwUMKlEePU2AXnuYAw&ved AcQ_AUoAQ&biw#04&bih38#hl=en&rlz1CHFX_enUS454US454&biw#04&bih38&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=twist+lock+cover+plates&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fpa160344102ecc7
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/seachoice-twist-lock-deck-plate-white-with-clear-insert.aspx?aX2463
Would magnets to mount a wooden disk with a counterbore work for you? Kerry
Dr. Deb wrote:

After I posted, I thought that I might "rivet" the pieces of metal together (on one side).
Bill
Dr. Deb wrote:

Larry, the twist lock is exactly what I was thinking of, just did not know what to call it. Unfortuantely, I have not found one small enough. The hub is going to be 5" in diameter and all I saw were larger.
Kerry, the magnets would do the job. mount three rare earth magnest and turn the hub to fit inside the cover piece, kind of like a lidded box.
In fact, that is probably what I will go with. That way, you twist and break the megnatic bond and the cover is off in your hand. Just pop it back on and you are good to go.
That is what I love about this group, no one is afraid to share ideas and someone has something that will work.
Thanks to all
Deb

Yeah, those looked nice, but white plastic on a great wheel? Hmm... (Amazon.com product link shortened) had 4.5 OD size for $7.73 + $4.74 s/h.
I saw several places which sold another nautical item today and the best discounts were had at First Choice Marine. http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/part_search.aspx?q ck+plate 4" in black for $7.12.

Nice!
Yeah, this group is great.
-- You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.' -- Charles A. Budreau