Obviously ...

It's too damn cold down South to be working in the shop, eh?

Reply to
Swingman

Hey ... if you guys want a taste of cold, come on up to Wisconsin. The gas heater in the shop (my wife still thinks its a garage and wants to park her car in it) does a pretty good job until temp drops below 10 above.

Larry

I have reached that age where it is better to be seen than viewed.

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Right. Today, I'm going to Grainger to check out those jet heaters (or whatever you call them), diesel fueled. Some work fine for a long time, some are problematic, I've heard. I'll be doing some research on them.

Not sure if they are appropriate for the wood shop, without special precautions, but we could use something as this at the farm, right now.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Hell, I like to froze to death in WI in July.

Reply to
Swingman

------------------------------------------------------- Sometimes with age comes wisdom.

I now maintain anything below 60F is not fit for human habitation.

It used to be 50F.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Come to Canada, we have bananas. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

whatever you call them), diesel fueled. Some work fine for a long time, some are problematic, I've heard. I'll be doing some research on them.

precautions, but we could use something as this at the farm, right now.

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

013 2:15 PM, Sonny wrote: > On Friday, January 4, 2013 12:45:13 PM UTC-6, S= wingman wrote: >> It's too damn cold down South to be working in the shop, = eh? >> >> > > Right. Today, I'm going to Grainger to check out those jet he= aters (or whatever you call them), diesel fueled.=20

Too late, for Craigslist. I bought the Dayton 3VE49C (75K BTU), at Grainge= r. They are reduced to $211, plus tips, from their normal price of $281, p= lus tips. No wheels, but it shouldn't be hard to make a mobile base.

It was too cold to get out there and assemble it, do a test run, so, for no= w, I've settled with reading the manual... while having gumbo.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

It was 28 when I got up this morning. My shop is 68F and its 39F. 4KW electric heater or wood heat. Wood tends to get warm if it get over

45 out. And it's 960sq'. But it's insulated from under the slab to into the roof.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

I was just finishing up a bowl of chicken, sausage, shrimp, and okra gumbo as we speak ... still holding the spoon. :)

Gotta be the weather...

Reply to
Swingman

It's too damn cold down South to be working in the shop, eh?

Reply to
WW

Boiled up the turkey carcase from Christmas with onion, carrot, celery, peppercorns and bay leaves. Strained the broth through a colander lined with cheese cloth.

Tomorrow, the home made noodles with fresh veggies and a little "Slap yo Mama" seasoning for these cold winter days in the AZ desert :-)

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Oh man, that sounds good, and I love noodle soup.

AAMOF, I left for the store this afternoon with the idea of either making gumbo, or chicken noodle soup. I called the girls while I was in the store, and it was 3 to 1 gumbo.

Reply to
Swingman

Turkey noodle, but have to add a chicken breast or two as there wasn't much meat left on the turkey.

Noodle recipe:

1 cup flower pinch salt 1 egg 1/2 egg shell water

(multiply as needed)

Mix and roll out on floured board or countertop. Slice up with pizza cutter. Let sit a few hours. Cook with broth, veggies and turkey/chicken (diced/shredded) until noodles tender. Eat.

That "slap Yo Mama" seasoning I picked up in NO will "kick it up a notch".

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Larry -

Easy fix - put a 30x30 metal building in the yard and let her have the shop to park her car.

This is the first house - out of 5 thus far - that I have a metal building for machines and materials. The shop is a game room.

Mart> >> It's too damn cold down South to be working in the shop, eh?

heater in the shop (my wife still thinks its a garage and wants to park her car in it) does a pretty good job until temp drops below 10 above.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

It's now in my DropBox recipe folder. Thanks!

Reply to
Swingman

----------------------------------------------------------------- Around here it was a pot of clam chowder.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

------------------------------------------------------------------------ SFWIW, my mother was still making her own noodles.

What's a pizza cutter?

To watch mom cut those noodles to width with a butcher knife, (no, not a chef's knife) was to marvel.

But what the heck, she had been doing it for at least 90 years.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yup, I learned the noodles from my kraut MIL, bless her dearly departed soul.

She also sliced 'em up with whatever knife she had in hand, some really old and rusty but it didn't hurt the noodles.

The round pizza cutter doesn't "pull" like a slightly dull knife, just rolls through to make nice even cuts - about 1/2" wide for noodle soup, narrower for other dishes.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Still had fire in the belly until she hit 103, then it was almost as if she said, "I'm done".

70 days later, she was gone.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett