Oak Scant?

What is Oak scant? I'm serious. Never heard of it until I saw it in a published plan.

Reply to
Dustmaker

Dusty -

Never heard of it. Scant. Mebbie it's what you get when you buy hardwood at the Borg and it doesn't scan. Even better, if'n you tell 'em it's OSB or particleboard and they ring it up!

Any takers?

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

It has to do with the moisture content and/or expansion due to moisture. Sorry, I have no specifics. HTH

--

Reply to
edard

You might have something there. A scant amount of moisture...very dry...like a good martini.

Reply to
Joe_Stein

Here's a reference:

question: What is "scant oak"?

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

Question was there a dimension listed with this? If the answer is yes, I believe it means the piiece should be slightly undersized. Just a hair under the actual measurement.

Hope this makes it clear as mud.

Reply to
D. Mo

I got some old barn planks made 'o oaks--can't get a nail into 'em without drillin' first. It's frustratin' all my plans...;-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

Looking at that website - it's not the wood that's scant, it's the measurement. Scant - as in "just shy of".

Reply to
patrick conroy

Little pieces. google for "oak scant" to see it in context.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Crappy wood might be known as Oak scat.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Thu, Jul 15, 2004, 5:44pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Dave=A0Hinz) teaches: Little pieces. google for "oak scant" to see it in context.

Or, look in a dictionary. I've heard scant, or scantling, heard used, when I was a kid.

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913) Scant \Scant\, a. [Compar. {Scanter}; superl. {Scantest}.] [Icel. skamt, neuter of skamr, skammr, short; cf. skamta to dole out, to portion.] 1. Not full, large, or plentiful; scarcely sufficient; less than is wanted for the purpose; scanty; meager; not enough; as, a scant allowance of provisions or water; a scant pattern of cloth for a garment.

  1. Sparing; parsimonious; chary.

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913) Scant \Scant\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Scanted}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Scanting}.] 1. To limit; to straiten; to treat illiberally; to stint; as, to scant one in provisions; to scant ourselves in the use of necessaries.

  1. To cut short; to make small, narrow, or scanty; to curtail. Related to: From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913) Scantling \Scant"ling\, n. [Cf. OF. eschantillon, F. ['e]chantillon, a sample, pattern, example. In some senses confused with scant insufficient. See {Scantle}, v. t.] 1. A fragment; a bit; a little piece. Specifically: (a) A piece or quantity cut for a special purpose; a sample. [Obs.] Such as exceed not this scantling; -- to be solace to the sovereign and harmless to the people. --Bacon. A pretty scantling of his knowledge may taken by his deferring to be baptized so many years. --Milton. (b) A small quantity; a little bit; not much. [Obs.] Reducing them to narrow scantlings. --Jer. Taylor.
  2. A piece of timber sawed or cut of a small size, as for studs, rails, etc.
  3. The dimensions of a piece of timber with regard to its breadth and thickness; hence, the measure or dimensions of anything.
  4. A rough draught; a rude sketch or outline. From WordNet (r) 1.7 (wn) scantling n : an upright in house framing [syn: {stud}]

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.

- Nanny Ogg

Reply to
J T

J T

Thank you. I should have known that you would come through and tell me more than I cared to know about the subject.

Dustmaker

Or, look in a dictionary. I've heard scant, or scantling, heard used, when I was a kid.

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913) Scant \Scant\, a. [Compar. {Scanter}; superl. {Scantest}.] [Icel. skamt, neuter of skamr, skammr, short; cf. skamta to dole out, to portion.] 1. Not full, large, or plentiful; scarcely sufficient; less than is wanted for the purpose; scanty; meager; not enough; as, a scant allowance of provisions or water; a scant pattern of cloth for a garment.

  1. Sparing; parsimonious; chary.

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913) Scant \Scant\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Scanted}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Scanting}.] 1. To limit; to straiten; to treat illiberally; to stint; as, to scant one in provisions; to scant ourselves in the use of necessaries.

  1. To cut short; to make small, narrow, or scanty; to curtail.

Related to: From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913) Scantling \Scant"ling\, n. [Cf. OF. eschantillon, F. ['e]chantillon, a sample, pattern, example. In some senses confused with scant insufficient. See {Scantle}, v. t.] 1. A fragment; a bit; a little piece. Specifically: (a) A piece or quantity cut for a special purpose; a sample. [Obs.] Such as exceed not this scantling; -- to be solace to the sovereign and harmless to the people. --Bacon. A pretty scantling of his knowledge may taken by his deferring to be baptized so many years. --Milton. (b) A small quantity; a little bit; not much. [Obs.] Reducing them to narrow scantlings. --Jer. Taylor.

  1. A piece of timber sawed or cut of a small size, as for studs, rails, etc.
  2. The dimensions of a piece of timber with regard to its breadth and thickness; hence, the measure or dimensions of anything.
  3. A rough draught; a rude sketch or outline. From WordNet (r) 1.7 (wn) scantling n : an upright in house framing [syn: {stud}]

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.

- Nanny Ogg

Reply to
Dustmaker

Any free plans for some of those Oak Scants, JOAT?

Or, look in a dictionary. I've heard scant, or scantling, heard used, when I was a kid.

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913) Scant \Scant\, a. [Compar. {Scanter}; superl. {Scantest}.] [Icel. skamt, neuter of skamr, skammr, short; cf. skamta to dole out, to portion.] 1. Not full, large, or plentiful; scarcely sufficient; less than is wanted for the purpose; scanty; meager; not enough; as, a scant allowance of provisions or water; a scant pattern of cloth for a garment.

  1. Sparing; parsimonious; chary.

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913) Scant \Scant\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Scanted}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Scanting}.] 1. To limit; to straiten; to treat illiberally; to stint; as, to scant one in provisions; to scant ourselves in the use of necessaries.

[...]

Eric Ryder

Fri, Jul 16, 2004, 1:38am e_OUT snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (Eric=A0Ryder) questions: Any free plans for some of those Oak Scants, JOAT?

Well, you've got to pay for what you want, and no oak, but you can look for free.