Oak Rust?

Hello, I've seen the term "oak rust" on this ng more than few times over the years, usually used in a facetious or sarcastic way. I have been unable to go back far enough find the thread where this became a thing. I take it that it's not a reference to a fungus afflicting oaks, nor the concrete staining abilities of the oaks' reproductive assets.
Is there a fallacy that oak dissolves fasteners?
Scott in Dunedin
ScottWW wrote:

It's not a fallcy, its a fact. The tannic acid in the oak deteriorates iron/steel and causes a black stain.

I couldn't find anything close to the thread, Google wasted my time by not confining my search to Usenet and Usenet archives even though I told it to. When I went to groups.google.com, all the stuff they were returning was 4-6 years old. :-( Their search seems to be more and more "it contains an A, so we'll return everthing that has an "A" in it! MOAR RESULTS!"
Anyway, not long ago there was a thread that was going the way most wRECk threads go... All over the place. Some were talking about cars and someone mentioned oak rust and its effects were "discovered" and "enhanced" there.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper wrote:

I didn't bother to look. Since he mentioned fasteners I figured he was talking about their deterioration rather than the oak disease.
On 4/11/2016 10:12 AM, dadiOH wrote:

No oakrust here, white oak The lag is actually in better shape in the wood, compared to the atmosphere.
http://imgur.com/mkRwXBg
--
Jeff

On 4/11/2016 8:51 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I was on the binaries when oak rust came about I presume, so I wasn't on this list.
I always figured it was an inside joke. it always seemed to be mentioned when something was bs.
--
Jeff

says...

Did it get wet? If not then why would it rust?
On 4/15/2016 8:19 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Did what get wet? the part of the lag outside the wood? I assume it was just humidity.
If you are talking in the wood, that's in response to the statement that tannic acid in oak deteriorates ferrous metal. Not sure it's always true.
--
Jeff

I presume he was talking about water "rusting" the wood, but it was Oak, not Ironwood. ;-)

That it always rusts ferrous metal? Perhaps there is some condition where it won't but IME, iron and carbon steel are no-nos in Red Oak. I wouldn't use Red Oak anywhere there is water (made that mistake) but that's a somewhat different subject.
says...

Need moisture. In Death Valley, not an issue. In a beach house in Florida it's a different story.
On 4/15/2016 7:19 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

99 % of all wood is not 100% dry. 6~8% moisture content will rust screws.
On 4/11/2016 7:42 AM, ScottWW wrote:

Due to the above adjectives required, -MIKE- is the resident expert on oak rust.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 4/11/16 3:53 PM, Swingman wrote:

LOL!
I'm caring for my 90 year-old father-in-law who's staying with us for a while or I'd jump all over this!
--

-MIKE-

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 7:40:41 AM UTC-5, ScottWW wrote:

Let's see if this (search) link works: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups #!searchin/rec.woodworking/oak$20rust
Sonny

Thanks! That's what I needed. Scott in Dunedin
On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 08:42:31 -0400

like most words there are multiple meanings in plant context rust is a fungus
there is a lot of info about including real research
what is your application and what is your concern
On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 10:11:15 AM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

He made slight reference to various meanings. Did you not read his whole post?

About which topic/meaning... relative to what he asked?

Words of wisdom, in or out of context, you should consider for yourself. You missed consideration and courtesy, that several have asked for, relative to punctuation in your posts. So, what is your concern, for replying to this and similar threads?
Sonny
On 4/14/2016 2:55 PM, Sonny wrote:

Seems trying to be helpful and suggest EC change to be a better participant in this group falls on deaf ears. He was either spoiled as a child or has no self respect.

Given its handle, it is more likely that EC is a crank/troll pushing the soi disant "electric universe" theory.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Electric_Universe

Certainly no respect for anyone else.