Oak floor too slick

House is 6 years old. We are first occupants and have been living here for 2 years. The house has nice finished in place oak floors. The floor near the bedroom has become slick, ie. polished smooth. I was thinking about roughing up the finish with either 400 grit sandpaper or a scotch brite pad on a random orbital sander. I don't want to wear the finish away too much. Any suggestions on this idea or anything that can be applied to the surface? The rest of the flooring has a slight gritty feel to it, and when walking on in socks there is a slight grip to it. I am concerned about a falling hazzard.
On 9/16/11 11:22 AM, Ray wrote:

I'd keep away from it with the sandpaper.
We have oak stairs going up to the bedrooms, they were *very* slippery when we bought the house. After my wife and I on separate occasions nearly wiped out on them I bought a product at HD that you mix with polyurethane and brush on. For the stairs I made it pretty gritty and taped off some rectangles on the treads then applied till I got the level of grit I wanted.
Can't remember the name of the product, it was in the paint section, has worked a charm. Given this sounds like a flat stretch of floor, you probably don't need much of it, if any, just an option.
--
Froz...

Have you tried a non-slip floor wax?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Is that like Oil-Free Oil of Olay products?
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Nova wrote:

Hospitals use that. It looks shiny, but you couldn't drag a dead cat across it.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

That sounds like what I am looking for. A search show some products for vinyl and composition floors. I don't think they are meant for wood. I will check Home Depot and Lumber Liquidators for non-slip floor wax. Any leads where I can purchase non-slip floor wax? I also found 2 DIY formulas. Not sure if alcohol and oil mix?
1/2 cup olive oil 1/2 cup vegetable oil 1/2 cup vodka 1 cup orange shellac 2 tbsp. acacia or
2 tablespoons of turpentine 1 cup flammable Orange Shellac 2 tablespoons of Acacia 2 cups flammable alcohol (denatured)
The present non slip areas do appear to be nibs and dust.
Thanks for the replies
Do not use vegetable oil or olive oil, it will get rancid where it falls between the cracks. You'll have a bigger problem.
On 9/16/2011 8:49 PM, Ray wrote:

Ray wrote the following:

You wouldn't be putting it on wood if it has any finish left.
I will check Home Depot and Lumber Liquidators for non-slip

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Pretty much any wax made for floors will be non-slip.

See: http://www.lundmarkwax.com/00purchase.html
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

They don't, but the oil keeps the pad from sticking to the semi-dried shellac.

Wipe-on formulation? Vodka is pure ethanol cut with water, which shellac takes to like your cat. You're better off with Everclear (expensive, but has much snob appeal as a shellac thinner) or denatured alcohol. Recommended proportions above look like 2-lb cut. Replace the non-drying oils with boiled linseed or tung, unless you feel like spiriting off an entire floor.

If you're looking to prematurely age the look of your house - give it some patina - sure, scuff up the floors where people walk. Otherwise you should treat the whole floor in the same way. Floor finishers use a buffing machine with a screen to scuff up the surface in preparation for a new topcoat. Whatever you do, test the process in a normally hidden area - under the bed, in a closet, etc.
The slightly gritty finish in the non-slippery areas is from nibs - dust/dirt that got into the finish while it was still wet.

When I do a non-skid treatment to a porch, I apply the paint, spread sand on top, let it dry, then put another coat of paint. You could try that with the clear floor finish.
LJ--wishing I could see your face right about now. <evil grinne>
OK, a real answer. Figure out what they used and put another coat of finish in that area. Finish in that slick area has likely been worn thru.
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

I really can't provide an answer to you for this issue, but I will say that you should never, EVER use Pledge furniture polish to make a floor look good. ...Unless you are practicing for the US Ice Skating Team, etc.
Did that once. Never again.
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 x113 01.908.542.0244 Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com Automatic / Pneumatic Drills: http://www.AutoDrill.com Multiple Spindle Drills: http://www.Multi-Drill.com Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com / VIDEOS:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
V8013-R

Joe, you weren't at Dover AFB the summer of 1970 were you? The particular incident I'm thinking of involved Pledge, buffing it with Kotex and the subsequent inspection of the barracks by a real general present for an air show.
41 years later I can still hear the yell and the thud.
Roy

Roy,
In the summer of 1970, I was in a hospital... Being extracted from my mother. I was taken via C-Section and that is why I claim I have no birthday. I have a "removal day."
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
On 9/16/2011 11:28 AM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:

or on your motorcycle seat....

I'm the guy who said to not use it on the floor... I also have two bikes. I pledge everything except the tires at times. It's the absolute best windshield cleaner there is IMHO as long as you don't have the anti-fog coating my Nolan helmet had which came off with Pledge!
I do the seats, the foot pegs, etc. Now... I ride a street legal dirt bike (Super Sherpa 250) and a large cruiser (Valkyrie) so it may not apply to the sport bike folks. :)
Now... To do that to the tires would be stoooopid.
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 x113 01.908.542.0244 Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com Automatic / Pneumatic Drills: http://www.AutoDrill.com Multiple Spindle Drills: http://www.Multi-Drill.com Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com / VIDEOS:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
V8013-R

Brought an old cedar chest home, parked it on the hardwood floor, then sprayed the chest with furniture polish and wiped it down. The overspray on the hardwood nearly got me. Kerry
On 9/16/2011 11:22 AM, Ray wrote:

I have it on good authority that many common hair and beauty products will take down that sheen quite effectively. Did in one area of my house anyway, but I'm not sure of the exact combination that was "applied". ;)