Oak finishing question

Greetings All, I'd like to revisit my oak question from last week. I'm finishing some 1/4 sawn red oak to be used as door/window casings, and have a specific look that I'm shooting for. If you've ever seen any Amish oak furniture, you may know what I want. Their finishing is very flat, smooth and has a satiny feel to it. It was recommended to use Cyrstalac, which I have bought. First, I used a single coat of Minwax Walnut stain which is close to the shade I want. But after that dried, it appeared sort of blotchy. The kind of blotchy if you ever stained soft pine (been there and done that) without pretreating with a conditioner. I've never had that happen with oak, or maybe I never noticed before. I have both Minwax sanding sealer and their wood conditioner. What's the difference between the two? As far as I know, the conditioner is for the previously mentioned pine to even out the absorption. Not sure what the sanding sealer is for.... Second, when does the Crystalac get applied? All I'm looking for is, after I stain to the desired shade, a smooth surface where the grain doesn't feel bumpy to the touch. In the meantime, I'll be in the basement experimenting... Thanks Again, Mark

Reply to
mark

Consider using a filler such as:

you use such a product properly you can get the oak glass smooth (and by choosing a color with care, you can get a variety of interesting grain effects.)

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

Hello again,

I gotta learn to read the whole thread before I post. Of course others had made similar suggestions.

'Sorry,

Reply to
Kenneth

Reply to