Oak finishing

Greetings All, I'd like to revisit my oak question from last week. I'm finishing some 1/4 sawn red oak to be used as door/window casings, and have a specific look that I'm shooting for. If you've ever seen any Amish oak furniture, you may know what I want. Their finishing is very flat, smooth and has a satiny feel to it. It was recommended to use Cyrstalac, which I have bought. First, I used a single coat of Minwax Walnut stain which is close to the shade I want. But after that dried, it appeared sort of blotchy. The kind of blotchy if you ever stained soft pine (been there and done that) without pretreating with a conditioner. I've never had that happen with oak, or maybe I never noticed before. I have both Minwax sanding sealer and their wood conditioner. What's the difference between the two? As far as I know, the conditioner is for the previously mentioned pine to even out the absorption. Not sure what the sanding sealer is for.... Second, when does the Crystalac get applied? All I'm looking for is, after I stain to the desired shade, a smooth surface where the grain doesn't feel bumpy to the touch. In the meantime, I'll be in the basement experimenting... Thanks Again, Mark
Mark,
I'm not a finish expert. But if I recall correctly Jeff Jewitt deals with this specific issue in his book "Great Wood Finishes". You might wonder into a Barnes & Noble and check it out.
Joe....

Thanks Joe, I'm going out today and I've added it to my list.

mark wrote:

Oak wasn't a good choice for the look want as the wood is very "grainy". Much of the Amish things I have seen - tables at least - has been cherry finished with tung oil.
If you want the oak grain filled you will either have to...
A. use paste wood grain filler (often mixed with stain) as a first step. It may need to be applied more than once
- OR -
B. Apply *MANY* top coats (varnish/lacquer/shellac/whatever), wait 2-3 weeks or more until thoroughly dry, sand off enough of the finish so that it is smooth (no grain "dents"), apply one or more final top coats. Crystalac is a top coat material.
--

dadiOH