oak cabinets

I have some oak kitchen cabinets that i would like to make a bit more modern. I know they probably should not be painted but im wondering if anyone has ideas or experiences with "sprucing" these up. Short of burning or replacing them is there anything i can do with them? Thanks in advance
Refinishing helps.
New decorative handles help, too.
Don wrote:

They can be refaced. See: http://www.hometips.com/articles/cabrefacing_guide.html
Don wrote:> im wondering if

I'm veneering mine with alder, and adding new doors and drawer fronts. Tom Work at your leisure!