Oak beam worth?

An oak beam sort of fell into my hands. (Yes, it was heavy.) I thought about using it for my work bench top, but I think I'll sell it and buy wood for a different project.
What's it worth? 12 feet long, 6 1/4 X 4 1/4, rough, starting to twist, a foot and a half beam crack on one side.
Thanks,
S.
samson wrote:

That's 12 x 1/2 x 4 = 24 bd-ft roughly, with actual length only about 10-ft instead of 12 owing to the crack iiu. So, 20 bd-ft at roughly $3-4/bd-ft would be somewhere in the $75 range as a target for what it might be.
Of course, what it's worth is what somebody will pay... :)
That board foot calc is OK for starters but that price is for 4\4. As the thickness of the piece increases it get's more expensive per bf because it is less common. Try to buy 6\4 oak and you'll see it's easily 20-30% more per bf. So it's maybe worth $6, $8, $10 maybe $15 per bf. However, this is a case of supply and demand and if you can't find someone who needs it well, then it ain't worth spit.
If it's white oak then you'll find good demand in the boat building crowd.

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:32:47 -0700, "SonomaProducts.com"

This is only 6" wide, so it's still cheap - in any thickness up to squares. If you're talking about cabinetry grade timber in boards 9", 12" or wider, then it starts to get expensive.
I can buy this stuff for about $5 / bd ft, in truckload quantities (it's more expensive here than in the US).
Yeah, I'm always thinking furniture grade. Good t know its so affordable if I want to build something rustic.

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

W/ Andy, for only 6" and based on the description probably _at best_ 2C, I'd say it's not likely to be much more valuable than the guess.
If it were to grade out at 1C or better, I'd boost it some, but still a 4x6 really just isn't that big an oak timber...
It's not what you get for building kitchen cabinets, granted, but it's run-of-the-mill stuff for mine shorings, etc., too small for a railroad tie blank, about right for some timber framing uses but a little short...

That's a cant. I'll sell you all you want for 75 cents per bd ft. Jana
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Actually, the more I look at this beam, the more I see table legs -- lots of table legs.
S.

A cracked twisted oak timber? About 200$ A CORD urban, 100 rural