O/T: Worm Compost

"Swings" comment about building worm compost boxes brought back memories.

My father was an avid fisherman.

A low cost source of worms was a must.

His solution was to build a worm compost pile by adding just coffee grounds to the clay soil.

Took a couple of years, but the combination of worms and coffee grounds turned that clay sub soil into sandy loam.

BTW, no need to dig for worms.

A couple of metal rods stuck into the ground and a source of 120 VAC would "tickle" the worms right out of the ground.

Memories.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

We used to go out to the city parks and golf courses and collect nightcrawlers. Brought them home and put them in a container of coffee grounds and cornmeal. Kept them hale and hearty and apparently the fish loved the taste.

Memories from 60 years ago :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

:0>

Besides gathering night crawlers; a cane pole, hook, line, sinker and cork bobber, we always took along broom and/or a straw hat.

Either of the latter two were all you needed to catch grasshoppers; and the sac-au-lait and bass loved live grasshoppers in the spring and summer.

... fishing for free, nothing like it. Catching your dinner was a rite of passage and fun to boot.

AAMOF, I didn't know you could even buy "bait" until I was about 14 and living in Texas. By then we'd graduated to a $10 Zebco spinning combo. That rig, and yellow Shyster's, which you could buy for a quarter at the counter of any country, crossroads grocery store, would catch you all the largemouth bass you could carry from a farmer's stock tank.

Reply to
Swingman

In the 50's, the fisherman neighbor did the same with two large screw drivers connected to a zip cord. Just poked them into the damp ground and plugged in. Night crawlers came bubbling up out of his lawn.

Later, he had a large elm cut down on the corner of his property. Every dog in the neighborhood wandered by and lifted his leg on that stump. The neighbor modified one side of his worm machine with a metal plate on top of the stump and the other screw driver into the ground close by. You can guess the rest...

No dogie fatalities that I remember and also no repeat leg lifters.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:13:55 -0700, Doug Winterburn

For those owner walking their dogs, I'd have engraved the metal plate with: PEE HERE AND YOU'LL PAY

Bet that would have encouraged a few of those owner to pee out of spite...

Reply to
Dave

See Tiredofspam? Are we now talking about what you were missing?

Reply to
Dave

Yabbut, it mentioned an elm tree stump!

Reply to