O/T; World's Largest Solar

Let see the if we do not use transistors, you are not upon the internet.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

No problem w/ R&D; not so much keen after that. If it'll be cost effective, it'll get picked up.

--

Reply to
dpb

------------------------- In this case, the technology appears sound.

SFWIW, even Chevron has a piece of the action.

Sun heats oil via parabolic mirrors, oil drives boiler to produce steam, steam drives turbine, turbine drives generator.

Heating the oil is about all that is new.

In this case gov't provides a kick in the pants to get things started via tax incentives.

Next thing you know, more geothermal.

Lots of it available here in SoCal.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

... Which means they're playing the gov't, and the technology doesn't pay on its own merit. Subsidizing more expensive technology for the sake of alternative agenda.

Reply to
dpb

You really know not whereof you speak.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

OK, so I exaggerated by 3% or so. So sue me. I was kidding about that asshole who was the governor when I left the state, not the cost of the greenies. Your AB 32 demands 1/3 of your electricity to be renewable, so your costs are of your own making. Pfffft!

So you think Gray Davis did NOT force things and cause you Californicators to pay way more than you were paying by signing long contracts at exhorbitant prices? You really should pay more attention, Scott.

people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

He thinks it's a "nun with a sex change"

Mark

Reply to
Josepi

I'm curious, what does a kwh cost in CA? Here (AL) it is around 12 cents tax and all, Alabama Power is 60% coal, 20% nuke 13% gas and oil, and the rest is hydro.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

It's very compicated. They have a chart with hundreds of rates on it depending on quantity used, area you live in, time of day, day of the week, amd season.

Basically, I remember a few years ago, it was 31 cents on peak and 3 cents off peak / per kWh. Maybe more now.

basilisk

Reply to
Josepi

----------------------------------- As a small residential customer, my last invoice from SCE was $20.38 for 215 KWH or about 9.5 cents/KWH.

This was a summer invoice, winter rates are lower.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

No TOU billing where you are?

Are PG&E?

This was a summer invoice, winter rates are lower.

"basilisk" wrote:

Reply to
Josepi