O/T: What are you getting the missus this year?

Page 2 of 3

I think it will be another Husqvarna sewing machine, for embroidery. The good new about that is that she was looking at the $9000.00 machine and is now looking at the $3800 machine that was recently in the Houston Quilt Show and marked down about $1K.
Isn't a sewing machine sorta like a vacuum cleaner?
I use the Jet dust collector and the Festool Vacuum. She uses the Husqvarna Quilt Designer. I use the Ricar vacuum cleaner and the Roomba. she uses the Long Arm sewing machine.

Every time I see the name Husqvarna, regardless of the product discussed, I feel just a wee bit shitty for ever selling my 250cc Husqvarna dirt bike. Modern day dirt bikes are a whole lot better suited for heavy motocross, but.... I worked a lot of menial part-time jobs and chores to get the money together for that bike. It was a dream come true....a victory of sorts. My mother, who was never into baubles, was very happy to get a Nilfisk vacuum for her birthday once. (Mind you, inside the birthday card was also a reservation to my parents' favourite resort in the Swiss Alps.)
One thing I will always be grateful for and that was something my maternal grandmother always said: "We're too poor to buy cheap stuff." My grandfather always liked her saying that. He was a carpenter/ cabinet maker and had some really cool stuff. All Neander.

Every time I see the name Husqvarna, regardless of the product discussed, I feel just a wee bit shitty for ever selling my 250cc Husqvarna dirt bike.
That was my first association with the Husqvarna name also, back in the early 70's. What, they make other things now????

I only had a few sports heroes in my youth. Torsten Hallman, Stirling Moss, and Mike Hailwood. All motorsports guys in one form or another. I used to collect marque badges, the small pins with a motor company's logo on it. My prized one was a Husqvarna pin. I put it on the lapel of my cousin, also a motocross buff, the day of his funeral.
wrote in message
I only had a few sports heroes in my youth. Torsten Hallman, Stirling Moss, and Mike Hailwood. All motorsports guys in one form or another. I used to collect marque badges, the small pins with a motor company's logo on it. My prized one was a Husqvarna pin. I put it on the lapel of my cousin, also a motocross buff, the day of his funeral.
Tazio Nuvalri, Juan Manuel Fangio.
DJM
"Robatoy" wrote

I recall only having one: Fred Parnell, from Baton Rouge, LA.
... guess what sport! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

So far, a GIS gives me a duck caller, a hair dresser, a footy from Leeds...................... . . . to be continued.

So far, a GIS gives me a duck caller, a hair dresser, a footy from Leeds......................
<G> Duck Calling!
"Upscale" wrote

Amazing how informed Google makes one, eh? :)
Anyone who has gained any proficiency in consistently _talking_ a highballing flight of wild ducks or geese into a spread of decoys will understand.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Robatoy" wrote:

maternal grandmother always said: "We're too poor to buy cheap stuff."
How true.
Lew
I think a Husqvarna sewing machine to a quilter is like buying a woodworker his dream cabinet saw. Convinced my wife to by a Viking (Husqvarna) early in our marriage and she was very glad I did. It's 30 years old and still problem free. Now if I could just get her to hem my pants.
Lenny On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 07:58:32 -0600, "Leon"

I know the feeling.
My wife has cranked out hundreds of quilts. I ask her to sew up some little thing for me and she gets upset!!
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:17:11 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

Me I have short sleeved heavy flannel shirts. Build a pile needing alterations and wait.
Mark

That is so true! What's up with that?
She says "I Quilt...I don't sew"
I built and armoire for the bathroom (towels storage above and his/her hampers below). It took 2 years to have the fabric liners for the hampers made.
-Steve
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:17:11 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

probably just not her "thing", Lee...
Sort of like all of the requests I get in the neighborhood for everything from signs to fence repairs, because they know that turners work with wood.. lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

from
lol
What? You refuse to turn signs and fences for your neighbours?

yeah, occupational hazard... I have done some ornamental fence posts for friends, though..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote

Just tell them you don't have a big enough lathe.
You could suggest that they buy you a Oneway, and you will reconsider.
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:08:59 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

Good Idea! Better to explain what a Oneway is than talk about having a Stubby..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

No SHIT! Mine will not fix holes in my socks! Glad to hear that they hold up that well. IIRC hers is almost 7 years old and has only 1 problem with a reverse switch, $25 to repair and that was a shocker. Her machine however sees "lots" of use and absolutely still looks new.