O/T What are the real truths? What is happening right under our nose?

Page 3 of 6
Somebody wrote:

Somebody else wrote:

Renata wrote:

Is this a reference to the refinery located in Bakersfield, Ca?
It is a small, out of date refinery once owned by Texaco.
If it was ever to become financially competitive, it would require a large infusion of money.
When Shell attempted to close it after they bought Texaco, there was a public out roar.
Shell ultimately sold it to Flying J, which to my knowledge is still operating.
It is common knowledge that Shell is not really interested in the refinery business in California.
Will have to wait and see what happens to the large Texaco/Long Beach refinery Shell now operates.
Texaco was not famous for maintaining their facilities.
Lew

Yer wrong. NIMBY. California is a different country. Our laws prevent the building of new refineries and drilling for new oil. I don't know why the refinery closed in Ca., but I'm sure it wasn't through choice. If we allow unrestricted drilling, the way things are now, it would have no bearing on our fuel price. The oil would simply go on the open market. If we would allow new refineries, the price would lower, assuming local crude; how much, probably very little. The International market drives oil prices. The only way to affect our prices is to mandate to American companies their price structure if they wish to sell in the USA. That'll work. Senator Clinton said (last night) that, if she were president, she would file suit against the oil companies and oil producers under what was once called the Taft Hartley Act. To wit monopolies. That will surely work.

Glad I'm not in Butte Montana with those fluctuating prices now. Beer was pretty expensive there too (other than BUDMILLERCOORSMOLSON). I worked there for a bit and really enjoyed it. Met really good people. Sang a bit, danced a bit, drank alot and incline ramped my head off. Ah pre- retirement. Screw the fluctuating prices, I'd go back in a New York minute.

WOW! I never knew THEY were in those secret, closed-door energy policy meetings headed by President Cheney! It's no wonder that regular-unleaded has gone from .79/gal to 3.50/gal and diesel to 4.10/gal and oil company profits reach record highs every quarter (not to mention Halliburton). Who knew?
Dave in Houston
Dave in Houston wrote:

screaming bloody murder when some arctic caribou gets inconvenienced by having to walk around an oil derrick (that will take up less than a few tenths of a percent of the total available land area in that region).

Probably right before the part about how we were going to invade Iraq.
Of course since those meetings were secret, and no one in the Justice Department has had the balls to prosecute the attendees for lying to Congress about attending them, we may never know.
--
FF

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote

Starting with Congress first would perhaps provide some incentive ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

That is a very interesting statement considering that Cheney successful quashed the Congressional effort to obtain minutes of those meetings by citing executive privilege. Which later made it all the more precious when he later advanced the novel claim that the Vice President was NOT part of the administration.
So please do tell us what transpired when Cheney met with those Enron Executives six months or so before Enron collapsed.
--
FF

Oviously not you. $.79 a gallon, 1979?, Must have been Cheney. It's really sad that we pay less than half per gallon than most of the world (although recently I think we are paying more than half). I don't think Hallburton is into oil. They may transport it though.
Hank
Lets kill the rich, then we can work for the poor.
Hank wrote:

Ummm, have you checked Exxon's latest quarterly profit? [hint: it wasn't up] From Forbe's.com: "The latest results fell short of the record $11.7 billion in earnings Exxon Mobil reported in the fourth quarter of 2007." Earnings for the first quarter were $10.9 billion.

And for those dismal numbers their stock took a four percent hit yesterday, down $3.47/share to $80-something. It seems their worldwide production is down some 10%. Go figure.
Dave in Houston

Aw, c'mon, Mark. Didn't you hear that Gore put in solar panels on his mansion? Dunno if he did the same on his jet, but...it always strikes me as wonderful how much money these guys make out of telling the rest of us to live frugally, green, and wipe our butts an extra stroke in the process, without wasting paper.
There's a big "Save The Trees" movement against printed junk mail, these days. I don't like junk mail, but I do realize that 90+% of the paper that goes into it, and most other printed material, is specifically planted and nurtured for just that purpose, to make paper. We're not dealing with virgin forests, but, essentially, with cropland.
But, hey, we don't want the natives getting restless. That would be like wondering how Jesse Jackson, a preacher without any church, always manages to make over a quarter million a year.
Many liberal policies make sense, but not even close to all.

Charlie, check Rev. Jackson and Rev. Sharepton again. A quarter of a million to them is chump change. The Reverend Sharpton pays more for his hairdo (whoops), I mean haircut, than President Clinton, Senator Kerry and Senator Edwards combined. Up here in Windham, NY, I pay (still have a pretty good head of hair) $12 and that includes a 20% tip.
in

Hair is about the only thing I have left. It costs about 12 bucks here, with tip. Wotinell happened to the 75 cent haircut? My biggest expense in the crotch. "Self, get yer hair cut!" Self, getcha goddamned hair cut!" About once a week.

That would be the "regular boys" haircut like those my dad would force me to get. Flatops for summer were a a buck-fifty plus mandatory Butch Wax. That would've been the late 50s.
Dave in Houston

Several years ago, I got tired of being charged $20 to cut my mostly bald head at barbershops. They'd zip along with an electric shave set on #3 level to get the few hairs I had left that would still grow. Went out and bought myself a hair trimmer for $25 and haven't paid a cent since. One of the very few benefits of being bald, or mostly so.

Absolutely not. But they didn't drill any; did they. Why do we have to pay their 'oil depetion allowance'? Nobody pays my 'I had a shitty year allowance'.
Somebody wrote:

10 years ago, the VP of sales of one of my principles commented to me, "Lew, we will never see another grass roots refinery built in our lifetime".
This from a guy who had spent his career in and around the "oil patch".
I agreed.
Today, if you decide you want to build a refinery in some location, it will take 20 years to overcome the neighborhood objections and the environmental impact studies, before you can start construction.
The refinery at Gaviotta, CA stood complete but not commissioned for about 5 years before some smart young oil company attorney figured out it was less expensive to fight in court than it was to let the refinery stand idle, so the law suits be damned, they started the refinery.
As far as I know, the lawsuits went away.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Damn 1 good lawyer in 10,000 now that's not likely to happen again.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

Yuppers. It's the 97% that give the other 3% a bad name...