O/T: Welcome To Big Time Politics

Page 4 of 4
OT? You mean high speed rail doesn't use wooden ties?
(Larry W) wrote:

Actually, it doesn't. Concrete or steel are the materials of choice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_tie
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in (Larry W) wrote:

Indeed, no wood. Comparing Europe rail travel with rail travel in the NE Corridor. In crowded western Europe, there is still relatively more open space than in the Washington-Boston megalopolis. Therefore, it was fairly easy to take rights of way for straight routes that don't have level crossings with roads etc. I have traveled the Thalys between Holland and Paris, and south of Brussels the speed of the train is astonishing. Large stretches north of Brussels are fast, but not all are real TGV speed.
Generating routes like that in the megalopolis will involve long fights with eminent domain expropriations. Moreover, we live more dispersed, so getting to and from the "central" station will take more time, just like the aggravating travel to and from airports.
Nevertheless, if travel by train were faster and cheaper, I'd use the train more, especially since I'm retired now. I can walk to the station here in Jersey, and use the T in Boston, so getting back and forth to my son and family in Boston will be a cinch. But as of now, car travel is cheaper and faster ... And then I have a car over there.
--
Best regards
Han
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Oh thats great, no one in California will use it. So it will end up like Metro Rail, Crime ridden and how to get out of the area for criminals Rail and subsidized by the tax payer. Another money pit which will be millions or billions over budget. Sounds Great!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
"Rich" wrote:

---------------------------------- Guess you haven't seen the stats just released for 2011 YTD.
Ridership on all forms of public transit (Y)ear (T)o (D)ate is up over last year in CA as a total and SoCal in particular.
$4/gal probably has something to do with it.
Lew