O/T: Welcome to $4/gal gasoline

Continued unrest in the MidEast.

How long before $5/gal gasoline.

Noticed the cost of food lately?

You betcha, let's dig for more oil, that's the answer.

Wonder why the 5th fleet is located where it is.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Just reading where it is $2.91 in Wyoming

We here in OZ are paying $6 a gallon for premium and $5.60 for regular

Reply to
George W Frost

It costs twice that in Europe yet is still cheaper than bottled water.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Come north for a visit, Lew. We've had gas in that range for a long time. Yet our economy seems to be doing better than yours...

Some of the subsidies coming off down there? About time.

One of them. How come the US isn't doing it on US soil?

Or building nuclear plants?

Well, it's probably not to defend Israel any more...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

For certain values of "better".

Actually has more to do with gasohol than with subsidies.

Where?

Protesters. Why isn't Canuckistan building rows of them along the border to sell cheap nuclear power to the US market like the French have done with Italy and are likely to start doing with Germany soon?

Defend Israel from _what_? The last time there was a credible danger to Israel was some time in the '50s.

Reply to
J. Clarke

## Nah. Muslims killing Muslims is the norm.

## Dunno. Right now, at ~$3/gallon it's still cheaper than at anytime since

1918 (with one exception under Carter)

## Uh, no. Big Macs still cost the same as they did last year.

## Everything's got to be somewhere.

Reply to
HeyBub

That's nonsense. It has to do with protectionism, keeping up with European farm subsidies, and intruding into developing economies.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

All of that makes food more expensive? Do tell.

The problem, which is well publicized, is that the US is encouraging the incorporation of ethanol into gasoline, and farmers have discovered that they can get higher prices for crops raised to be turned into ethanol than they can for crops raised to be sold as food, hence significant amounts of acreage are going to the production of ethanol and food prices rise accordingly as supply is lessened.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Here in Canada, where we have all the oil sands and export most to the US, gasoline in Ontario costs $1.15 per litre, at 4 litres per gallon, that is $4.60 per gallon. Don't complain about $3.00 to $4.00 a gallon because that is a bargain, and it is probably made from the same Canadian oil that our overpriced gas is made from.

Reply to
EXT

Due in large part to turning corn into fuel.

Well, yes, it is. When the supply of a product increases, the price decreases. That's Economics 101.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It hurts, but I agree. There should be no subsidies to multinational (or domestic) agro/food giants.

They are. Only the Treehuggers know why we're not drilling offshore. I remember the mess on CA beaches in the late '60s from the Santa Monica spill, and I'd =MUCH= rather face the -possibility- of those hazards than to feed the Arabs who are supporting Islamic terrorists.

You do know that 34% of our oil is domestic, don't you? Another third we get from Canada and Mexico. That last third is Arab imports.

Or building nuclear plants?

They are, finally!

> Wonder why the 5th fleet is located where it is.

They're supposed to keep safe the flow of oil from the region, not defend Israel...aren't they?

-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

40 Oz gallon, right? (Imperial)
Reply to
Angela Sekeris

Removing gummint subsidies makes things cheaper? Do tell.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

And two summers back it was $1.45/litre...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

We cannot drill for oil here because the powers that be are sitting on it, waiting for $15 a gallon gas down the line. Plus, it would disturb the striped slug, porcupine caribou mouse, Kanab pond snail, and spotted roufus titcatcher.

And we can't have that.

We don't have a hell of a lot left, but we're sitting right on top of it in our own country, and we won't go and get it. Seems like it's time to clean house of tyrants and fertilize a few trees.

Let's get reasonable. Let's drive smaller, more efficient cars. Let's insulate. Let's just plug the holes where we are using too much. That would be a big start.

Or, we could wait for Barry to produce all those millions of "green jobs" waiting somewhere mysteriously in the wings to be produced with all that green money they must have lining the halls of Congress somewhere. (I do wonder where all that money is stored.) Or continue spending it on "studies" done by political supporters, teacher union types, and dope smoking hippies doing studies on the sex habits of college freshmen. (I applied for that, but was denied as being overqualified.) I'm thinking of building an underground house. If I am going to end up living in a cave, it's going to be a good one.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Download the book $10

Steve B
4.54 l per Imperial gallon 3.78 l per US gallon. (French sucked them in to a standard and then changed...again)

That would make it $5.22 per Imperial gallon

$4.34 per US gallon.

The US just needs to get a bigger gallon or change to metric (as they started in '55) and cut their unit price by almost a factor of 4.

Reply to
Josepi

Wow! NO. U.S. aloneness, in measurement, education is needed.

US gallon has 128 ounces Imp gallon has 160 ounces.

Ratio is of Imperial to US gallons is aprox 6 : 5 by volume.

40 Oz gallon, right? (Imperial)

Reply to
Josepi

Apparently that "free" health care has to be paid for somehow, who knew?

Reply to
DGDevin

Reply to
Robatoy

No sooner than we are willing to pay that price. The perceived supply and demand really has no effect on gasoline prices so much as the other pricing stratigy, "What The Market Will Bare". If we are stupid enough to pay high prices they are certainly going to charge those prices.

I paid $3.17 for premium at a Chevron station today, regular was $2.89, what are you guys in California willing to pay?

Reply to
Leon