O/T: Warm Enough

Page 7 of 9
On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 12:17:23 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

Mike, are you saying that the oceans aren't getting more acidic? Or that there is no such thing as acid rain? Or that both situations exist but CO2 isn't the cause?
Please be more specific.

On 7/3/12 5:32 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I'm saying there are plenty of scientists who are much smarter than me, who don't have a horse in the race, who say man caused global warming is a bunch of bullshit and I agree with them. The whole "industry" is rife with corruption, has very questionable "science" to it, and is, in a nut shell, a giant chicken little that is costing us billions of dollars for nothing.
Again, in 20 years when we're all laughing at this nonsense like we will about the Mayan apocalypse a year from now, I hope you have a sense of humor about it and I hope the charlatans who masterminded this corrupts industry get jail time like the bankers who ripped us off.
--

-MIKE-

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 18:06:22 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

You didn't answer my question. Please see above.

On 7/4/12 1:34 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

F#@k your question. I don't have to have all the answers on the tip of my tongue to know that man caused GW is bullshit. There are other people in the world who know the science and the specifics and I'll leave it to them to keep informing me. It's comforting to go through life knowing you don't have to have all the answers. It's also comforting to have a highly tuned BS filter. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 14:34:54 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

IOW, you don't have an answer. And you ignore the people "who know the science" (80%-90% of climatologists) who keep trying to give you an answer.
You win. I give up responding to your factless frothing.

On 7/5/12 11:15 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

That's the funny part! They keep claiming a consensus and numbers like 90%, which it total bullshit, as well. And why is it now coming down to 80%? 5 years ago it was 99%. Now these smaller numbers keep showing up, not because they are actually accurate, but because the whole movement keep trying to save face and are putting spin out there every chance they get and with every new scandal.

Yeah ok, if that makes you feel better. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Larry Blanchard wrote:

I'll answer. "Acid rain" is not caused by CO2. Acid rain is caused, mainly, my sulfur emissions resulting in Sulfuric acid. CO2 DOES react with water to form carbonic acid, though not very much. Plus, carbonic acid is a very weak acid and insignificantly responsible for the damage from so-called "acid rain."
On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 15:21:16 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

As I said to another poster, you may well be correct. I saw articles online that blamed both sources.
But there does seem to be relative unanimity that CO2 is causing the ocean acidification. If the oceans get messed up, we're in a lot of trouble. Corals dying and oysters failing to breed are an indicator that bad things are happening.

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 16:20:10 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Yabbut, youse guys used the "C" word about AGWK, too, though there ain't no concensus nowhere, pard.

Yes, possibly. Or, it's just a sign that Mother Nature moved on. Not all species live in all temp ranges, LB.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_extinction_rate
-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Suppose that the oceans are getting more acidic and there is acid rain and that CO2 is the cause. What of it? The issue is not whethere there is CO2, the issue is why there is CO2.
We are supposed to be having a temperature spike with the greenland icecap melting about now. There is a long term glaciation cycle in which that event occurs periodically and we are at the point in the cycle when it is expected to occur. After the temperature spike there has in every previous cycle been a precipitate drop in temperature. Instead of worrying about global warming, we should be worried about what comes after it. Long Island is the rock and soil that was scraped off of Quebec and New England in the cold part of the last glaciation cycle.
But a certain group of "scientists" have figured out that by creating panic they can get funding and they are going at it as hard as they can.
And I'm curious--did you vote for McCain or Obama in the last election? I'd bet Obama, even though he had no plan to address global warming, instead of McCain who spelled out what had to be done and intended to go about doing it.
<snip>

McCain (may have) had good ideas, but in my opinion late in the campaign he went off his rocker especially when he chose pretty palin as a running mate. That woman cost him the election as far as I am concerned.
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/5/2012 6:47 AM, Han wrote:

Now that is just plain funny and or a sign of the mentality of the majority of the voters.
FWIW Obama cared to not address what does not exist.
McCain wasted time addressing what did not exist.

I wasn't quite aware that McCain had indeed a plan for global warming. If I had, that would have been another point in his favor, but it wouldn't have helped to get my vote.
This is one of the things that a 2-party system kills - nuances in positions get leveled off, since the candidates have to pander to the least offensive positions.
--
Best regards
Han

Actually, the principal culprit in acid rain is sulfur emissions, not carbon dioxide. And that is indeed a "sufficient reason to curb air pollution" -- as coal-fired power plants have been doing for a few decades now.
CO2 dissolved in water is only a very weak acid; SO2 and SO3, on the other hand, make very strong acids.

True. But, removal of CO2 from the blood through our breathing is what keeps the pH of our blood at the right level. Just a bit either way, and you're in trouble. Obviously, atmospheric CO2 won't any time soon cause problems, but apparently changes in pH and temprature are doing damage to some coral formations.
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/3/2012 1:57 PM, Han wrote:

As do the divers nosing around those corals. )ops I broke a piece off, must be the CO2 that made it weak. ;~)

Locally. Any evidence of a global problem?

Going by memory, which isn't what it was some decades ago, but anyway. Some socalled scientists say it is more than a local problem. They have data to show that some kinds of coral when put in water with more CO2, i.e. slightly more acidic, die off. Apparently not all corals, but an significant fraction. I haven't re-read things, but a google for "coral die-off co2" gives lots of hits. I'm not really fluent in those sciences, so please, be my guest and do the hard research for me <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han
omeone wrote:

An air conditioner uses a small amount of energy to move a much larger amount of heat from one place to another. It's not so farfetched to think that human activites have an effect on climate.

On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 00:59:33 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Where are the compressor and the expansion coils in the atmosphere? Like all religions, you *assume* something exists then go about "proving" it with whatever data you can fit to your hypothesis.