O/T: Warm Enough

Page 6 of 9
On 7/3/12 11:24 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

CO2 is hardly "pollution."
That's the other trumpet call of alarmists... labeling CO2 as pollution and thus tying it in with real, damaging pollution. This is much like the race card. It takes attention away from the real problems that do exist and make everyone skeptical of the honest, trustworthy people trying to raise awareness to those real problem.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/3/2012 12:17 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

+1
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

+1 as much as you want. Just like someone saying that there's no proof that CO2 is not causing problems, the reverse can also be true. It may be causing immense problems, just that nature has so far been able to handle it.
If or when it is realized that nature is not able to handle it anymore, better damned well hope that it's not too late for humanity to do something about it.

Then it's not an immense problem, by definition. Moreover, you have no proof that more is bad. In fact, higher temperatures are for the most part, good. Plants and animals like warm. Ice ages aren't a time for parties.

...and you say Gaia isn't a religion.
On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 13:41:21 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

You really like playing the asshole don't you?
Since we were talking about making mistakes and paying for it, do me a favour and drive your car off a cliff will you? It would be most fitting.
On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 13:41:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Higher temperatures? We were talking about acid rain and ocean acidification. What are your opinions on those subjects?

Maybe you changed the subject, but the topic was AGW. If you don't believe me, perhaps you could read at least the subject line? OTOH, maybe you can't.
On 7/3/2012 12:36 PM, Dave wrote:

Then arguably it is not a problem, is it? :)
That notwithstanding, and I'll certainly give you the benefit of the doubt in that very specific regard, the part of MIKE's post that deserves a +1, which you may have missed, is that the real danger/consequence is one of misguided, "chicken little" misdirection on the part of those with a political agenda.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

+1 on that last one, on either side ...
--
Best regards
Han

Everyone in politics has a political agenda. That doesn't for one second mean that their agenda is the wrong direction.
Now admittedly, as far as I'm concerned, all politicians are professional liars, but that's just part of the job.
On 7/3/12 12:36 PM, Dave wrote:

In 20 years when this is all proven to be bullshit and Al Gore is (more of) a laughing stock and possibly facing criminal charged for defrauding the American public (and world) out of billions in tax dollars to fund government mandated policies to deal with this myth, I hope you have a good sense of humor about it.
--

-MIKE-

In 20 years, I expect to be long dead, so I won't be laughing at much. And if I am still alive, I don't expect I'll be laughing at very much either. So, NO, I won't have a good sense of humour about it.

You don't have much of a sense of humor now. Are you dead?
On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 21:54:33 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Hell, I'm already doing that now. Some of the thought processes include thinking about how I can initiate some physical contact with some of those hotties. And, I suspect the nurses already know what we're thinking.
Assuming I'm still alive in twenty years, I'm wondering if I'll still be thinking the same thoughts. I'll defer the answer to that question to some of you older guys.
But, I guess I can answer that one too. I still feel eighteen inside, the body just doesn't agree with that viewpoint. I'm betting that never changes.

Oh, you'll still be thinking those thoughts. But, for the first time in your life, you will begin to think that (on a case by case basis, of course) it may not be worth the bother. :)
--
www.ewoodshop.com

On 7/3/2012 12:17 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

+10
Those that believe we should limit CO2 should stop breathing, buyng soda's, using dry ice, and driving cars.

This statement shows astounding ignorance about the carbon cycle and the reasons that CO2 has risen from 230ppm to 400ppm in the last century and a half. I'll give you a hint - the CO2 you exhale is not CO2 that has been sequestered for millions of years in geologic coal or oil formations. Same applies to cow farts.
So long as the system is in equilibrium, i.e. no carbon is being added to the system, the CO2 fraction in the atmosphere won't change, no matter how many people exhale, since the carbon they're exhaling was recently (within a year or two) in the atmosphere (taken up by plants, fed to cows, and eaten as hamburgers, then exhaled).
On 7/3/2012 3:29 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

If "this statement shows astounding ignorance bla bla bla, why did you mention it at all? Starting a statement with "this statement show astounding ignorance" is not too smart if you want some one to take it seriously.
OTOH
Did you reeeeeeeally think I was serious. Your are quite gullible.
Scott Lurndal wrote:

Have you actually worked out how much 400 parts per million represents?
A penny weighs 2.5 grams. One million pennies weighs 2.5 million grams, or about two and a quarter TONS. Four hundred pennies comes in at about two and a quarter POUNDS.
This ratio is about equivalent to the weight of a coat of paint on a big diesel engine.
Asserting that a CO2 concentration of 400ppm affects the atmosphere is exactly equivalent to claiming the coat of paint on a engine affects the engine's performance.

How about those who think the Earth's population should be lower? How about those who think government, or the UN, should do something about it?