O/T: Warm Enough

I plan to dispose of the CFL's responsibly. Hope you all will too.
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/4/12 10:27 AM, Han wrote:

Why is it that people who want to erode others liberties can blindly trust the public to act responsibly when it supports their agenda, but not when it comes to things they don't like, such as guns, fatty/sugary foods, and my "carbon footprint?"
--

-MIKE-

For a decade, I've been waiting for a mercury recycling station to open up anywhere near me. I pay $2 for a 4' fluor lamp. If I want to dispose of it safely and responsibly, I have to either drive to Portland (500mi RT) or pay a local company _$4_a_bulb_ to do so. FTS
I talked to the local sanitation company and they said either pay for the disposal or just break them up in the trashcan and they'll dump it. I have maybe 35-40 dead bulbs now. If someone wants to send $150 to me, I'll do the responsible thing, but I can't afford it myself.
As seldom as they go bad, my CFLs go in the trash. If they were accepted by the recycling people, I'd take them there, too. I recycle -all- (OK, maybe 98%) paper, cardboard, cans, bottles, and plastic. Green waste and wood/ply/lumber scraps go to JoGro, metal is recycled.
Why are there only maybe 3 mercury recycling stations on the entire West Coast, with all the Greenies out here? Maybe they're busy screaming that the sky is filling with CO2.
And where are the Greenies when it comes to Fracking? Why do they only rant at the non-issues?
-- Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -- John Wayne
My mercury containing lamps go into the fluorescent bulb recycling bin at the recycling center.
--
Best regards
Han

ONLY if you have one within a reasonable distance from you. I'd drive 30 miles to Medford (60 RT) to dump mine, but I can't do 500 to Portland. I hate to dump them, and that's why I haven't done it yet, but...
-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Then you need to ask Oregon how and where to dispose of them. Seems to me an environment-conscious state should have a solution.
--
Best regards
Han

That's what I thought, but the only one I've found is in Portland, 250 miles away.
-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732
On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 16:01:40 -0700, Larry Jaques

Around here, the Home Depot takes fluorescents, though they probably send them to the landfill.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Just curious... why do you hate to dump them?
They'll probably go to a landfill. Since about 1970, landfills have been required to be sealed entities. Whatever goes in can never come out, so what's the difficulty?
On 7/4/12 12:33 PM, Han wrote:

We recycle more than most people. Our trash bin only goes out about once every other week, and then it's most often because it smells to bad to leave another week. :-) Our recycling bin is so full, we're thinking of getting another.
But those CFL's are a joke. They are an inferior product that is waaaaaaaay worse for the environment than what the environmental harm they purportedly prevent. Plus they are already outdated by LEDs. Plus, they cost this country thousands of jobs that were sent to China and Mexico because we outlawed incandescents.
Don't even get me started on the corruption between the White House and GE concerning all these new green technologies. Job Czar, my ass.
While we're on the subject, someone did a study on the *true* carbon footprint of the average electric car and it was about double that of a gas one. Hilarious.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/4/2012 9:53 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

+1 ;-)
On 7/4/2012 10:53 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Thank God Al Gore forced us all to use CFL's so now we'll get less exposure to mercury. +1
Why is it that people who want to erode others liberties can blindly trust the public to act responsibly when it supports their agenda, but not when it comes to things they don't like, such as guns, fatty/sugary foods, and my "carbon footprint?" +1
Your only error was in listening to news reports. +2
KRW wrote: There is a difference between "warning" and "lying". A scientist should know this difference. Don't you agree? +1
Nah, the left doesn't want to solve anything. If a problem gets solved, it can't be taxed. +1
Larry Wrote: A now infamous institution, they were caught with their pants down in an attempt to defraud the public and, probably, to secure more funding as a result. It was agenda-based, not science-based. IMO, there is no worse crime a scientist can commit, against the public, against himself, and against science. Algore is such a criminal. He openly stated that he had to fudge the results "to get people to listen, and to act."
I spit on their grandmothers' shadows. +2
Leon wrote: You are using sensationalized data. +1
Mike 4, KRW 2, Larry 2, Leon 1
Mike wins!
--
Jack
Got Change: Global Warming ======> Global Fraud!
On 7/7/2012 2:03 PM, Jack wrote:

I guess 4th is better than last! ;~)
Yeah Scott, I know it looks like 4th is last. OK Buddy?
On 7/7/2012 4:43 PM, Leon wrote:

I didn't list the fractional points, and certainly not the negative points. Only the ones that tickled my senses in a good way, that I could recall. I may have cheated KRW out of a point by only giving him one point for the left not being able to tax solved problems, that, in retrospect was worth two, but sorry, too late now, the count is in:-)
--
Jack

You wouldn't happen to live in Chicago, would you? ;-)

Florida? (Asking for recounts.)
Did KRW's ballot have any hanging chads?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 09 Jul 2012 19:24:08 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Who me? Nope, I'm not in Florida. We use the optical scanners. I suppose we could have problem with pregnant smudges. ;-)
On 7/9/2012 3:24 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Yeah, I was trying to punch out 10 at a time and the cheap ass machine was leaving them hanging and dimpled.
It's not easy being a demorat!
--
Jack
On 7/7/12 2:03 PM, Jack wrote:

Well that doesn't happen very often. What's my prize? :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 7/7/2012 7:05 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Not decided yet, but it's somewhere between a drone killing noble peace prize and and AlGore T-Shirt. The T-Shirt may have some value in applying shellac to a lathe turning, so if I get you one, I might just keep it myself. Meanwhile, keep up the good work:-)
--
Jack