O/T: Warm Enough

Page 4 of 9

The earth receives more energy from the sun in *one hour* than human beings consume in an *entire year*. That's about five orders of magnitude. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_energy And yet some people continue to insist that man has more influence on the climate than the sun has.
On 7/2/2012 6:44 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Global warming theorists (NOT me) claim that carbon dioxide acts as an energy trap that lowers the amount of solar energy that re-radiates back into space, that it's this increased retention of solar energy that is killing all the polar bears. Personally, I think that even if the globe was warming ( and I don't think it is, at least not significantly, and if it is, it's not caused by man), on a global scale it would probably be a good thing. More energy inevitably would result in increased plant growth, which would feed more animals as well. On a global scale it would be worth it to push beachfront property farther inland in return for a global environment that's more hospitable to life in general.

Yeah, about that -- polar bear population is actually *increasing*, not decreasing.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/healthy-polar-bear-count-confounds - doomsayers/article2392523/

Talk to any geologist, and he'll tell you that during much of its existence, the planet has been much warmer than it is now. Too many people make the mistake of thinking that the conditions we experience now are necessarily both normal and optimal, without any evidence for either belief.
On 7/3/2012 2:23 AM, Just Wondering wrote:

Yes no one has proven that warming is a bad thing. But we have had abundant proof that the suggestion of global warming is a gold mine of opportunity to sell the next save the world idea.
Let us sell you "something" so that your share of the foot print, (.0000000000000000000000000000000001%), will decrease by the same amount. Much to do about nothing.
On 7/2/2012 7:44 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Careful there Doug, you are using common sense and that is not so common any more.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the pollution produced by man and his use of fossil fuels.
OK, we've beaten this to death with facts, suppositions, and worse. How about a new direction.
Forget global warming. Whether or not it exists and if it does how much we contribute to it. Take a look at what else our pollution has caused.
Acid rain:
http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/what/index.html
Or ocean acidification:
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/co2/story/Ocean+Acidification
I don't think there's much controversy over the fact that our carbon emissions are causing these. Even disregarding global warming, the effects of these would seem sufficient reason to curb air pollution.
What reminded me of this was an article in this mornings paper about the failure of oysters to breed in Pacific Northwest waters due to increased acidity. See:
<http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/jul/03/ocean-acidification-puts - pressure-on-oyster/>
I await the inevitable "it's not our fault" chorus from the usual suspects :-).

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 16:24:43 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

The EPA and NOAA, bastions of fair and balanced judgement. Just ask Algore.
-- Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -- John Wayne

Al Gore was a politician. EPA and NOAA are in a different business. Their predictions don't always pan out, but generally, I'd like less mercury in my air, not more.
--
Best regards
Han

If you don't think the EPA and NOAA are political entities, please read at least more about them. It won't be long before you start to see their politicization. These two have to be the most politicized agencies in the entire US gov't, short of CONgress, Han.

Yeah, mercury and dioxin don't digest well. Agreed. But try their silly agenda against silicone implants, asbestos, lead, and a dozen or three other items if you want to see something gone waaaay overboard. Now that they've banned CO2, they'll start procedures to do away with that other fatal product in life: sunlight.
-- Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -- John Wayne

Silicone implants appear to have had a rather bad reputation, due to faulty manufacture, ingredients and/or surgical technique. They were appropriately banned. Now there are better techniques and production, perhaps they should be allowed again. The problem is/was that approval for medical devices was/is much easier to obtain than that for drugs.
There is asbestos and asbestos. The kind that is easily friable and airborn AND contains the really long needle-like crystals is the kind you might very easily get cancer from (I could go into more biochemical details). All other kinds (if any) are fine.
Lead is toxic as the divalent cation (it mimics calcium, but does not have the necessary properties to be a good substitute).
And, mercury as the fluid metal is fine. Just don't get too much as an organic compound. I never understood why some people recognized the hazrds of mercury, and still used mercurochrome insteaad of iodine tincture.
--
Best regards
Han

Show me cites where they actually proved the silicone implants to be bad, not just people claiming it.

90% of all asbestos ever mined was the gentle kind, non-crocidolite. The only way to get asbestosis or mesothelioma is to have worked in a dusty asbestos plant--with no respirator for decades.

Why fine property owners for poor parenting?

I use Triple Antibiotic cream, tea tree oil, or lavender essential oil.
-- Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -- John Wayne

Sorry, you'll have to find them yourself.

And be a heavy smoker. Nevertheless, ever try to sell a house with asbestos? And, mind you, I would be careful with all potential irritants. Note: The way the bad asbestos gets you is via its crystals, that are too big for macrophages to ingest and then dispose of. The macs get irritated and start secreting stuff that is full of degrading enzymes and oxidants. The body isn't designed to neutralize those substances in excess. It's a similar mechanism that gets you gout, the uric acid crystals do similar things. Why uric acid gets the joints, I don't know. The green parts of rhubarb contain a lot of calcium oxalate needle-like crystals, which are similarly toxic in a way.

Having been in the situation where I rented an apartment I was glad that I could ascertain and remedy the (minor) lead problems. Lead should be removed everywhere it can be removed. In most cases lead is not necessary.

I'm sure it works for you. My first treatment is iodine or the triple antibiotic plus antifungal.
--
Best regards
Han

Not so sure you can, eh? ;)

Nowadays, with the rampant, totally-unsubstantiated fear about it? Good luck!

I even wear a mask to mow nowadays, and I ventilate heavily during painting or (re)finishing, blowing, etc.
I likely inhaled far too much asbestos as a young mechanic, blowing out brake drums and blowing off backing plates. THAT I don't do any longer.

Sounds nasty, but aren't we talking about an entirely bygone era? (where men were macho and didn't wear protection, and companies didn't offer it.)

AFAIC, lead is a non-concern. I'm not eating it (like some entirely unmonitored young urban children evidently were) and I don't plant my garden in it. I mask when sanding anything, leaded or not, and clean up the dust.
-- Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -- John Wayne

Seems that now you are a believer in the harm those substances can do ...
--
Best regards
Han

I know better than to allow particulates (including smoke) into my body any more.
I do -not- believe that any of those things (silicone, lead, asbestos, CO2) should have been banned, though. I'm not cowering in fear of any of them, 'cept maybe methyl mercury.
-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Well, of course there is a difference between cowering in fear and being careful not to <fill in>. Among the latter is not to needlessly spew it around.
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/3/2012 12:53 PM, Han wrote:

You're concerned about mercury in the air? Really?

Just in case you didn't know, mercury emissions from powerplants were the subject of a fight by the power companies. They didn't want to reduce them as the EPA had ordered. Mercury volatilized in this manner is apparently a problem: "Ms. Jackson said that mercury and the other emissions covered by the rule damaged the nervous systems of fetuses and children, aggravated asthma and caused lifelong health damage for hundreds of thousands of Americans. " http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/science/earth/17epa.html
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/4/12 7:29 AM, Han wrote:

Thank God Al Gore forced us all to use CFL's so now we'll get less exposure to mercury.
--

-MIKE-